Background and Objectives: Preparedness, awareness and performance of health workers, is an important factor for service providers in disasters. Hence, this study was conducted to investigate, the preparedness, awareness and performance of Iranian nurses as a major element of treatment team during disasters.
Methods: This investigation was performed systematically, based on the articles published from 1989 to 2019 with respect to preparedness, awareness and performance of Iranian nurses during disasters. In total, 12 Databases and 560 articles were reviewed.
Results: After analyzing the titles, abstracts and the manuscripts, 11 papers were selected for the final analysis. This analysis showed that preparedness, awareness and performance of Iranian nurses in disasters were in poor and average levels.
Conclusion: Due to inappropriate level of nurses’ awareness and preparedness during disasters, health system managers should use suitable programs and measures to improve them. Since qualitative studies are limited in this field; hence, it is necessary to conduct investigations to explore healthcare workers’ experiences and viewpoints.
- Bronfman, N.C.; Cisternas, P.C.; Repetto, P.B.; Castañeda, J.V. Natural disaster preparedness in a multi-hazard environment: Characterizing the sociodemographic profile of those better (worse) prepared. PLoS ONE. 2019;14:e0214249. PMCID: PMC6481794 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0214249
- Our World in Date. Natural disasters[Internet]. 2019 [Up - dated 2020]. Available from: https://ourworldindata.org/ natural-disasters.
- Nofal A, Alfayyad I, Khan A, Al Aseri Z, Abu-Shaheen A. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of emergency department staff towards disaster and emergency preparedness at tertiary health care hospital in central Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J. 2018;39(11):1123-9. PMCID: PMC6274652 DOI: 10.15537/smj.2018.11.23026
- Sonneborn O, Miller C, Head L, Cross R. Disaster education and preparedness in the acute care setting: A cross sectional survey of operating theatre nurse’s disaster knowledge and education. Nur Educ Today. 2018;65:23-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.nedt.2018.02.015
- Haji zadeh M, Seyyed Mazhari M, Pishgooie A, Aliyari S. The effect of buddy aid education packages on the - wives of military personnel awareness and attitude in the face with earth quake in 2013. Mili Caring Sci. 2014; 1(1):1-8. https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=517261
- Ahayalimudin N, Ismail A, Saiboon IM. Disaster management: a study on knowledge, attitude and practice of emergency nurse and community health nurse. BMC Pub Heal. 2012;12(2):A3. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-S2-A3.
- Koka PM, Sawe HR, Mbaya KR, et al. Disaster preparedness and response capacity f regional hospitals in Tanzania: a descriptive cross-sectional study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018;18(1):835. doi:10.1186/s12913-018-3609-5
- Vafaei A, Alamdari Sh, Hatamabadi H, Kermani H, Arhami dolatabadi A, Amini A, et al. Pattern of crisis management in Shohada Hospital. Sci J Rescue Relief. 2011;3(1,2):67-79. http://jorar.ir/article-1-96-en.html
- Naser WN, Ingrassia PL, Aladhrae S, Abulraheem WA. A Study of Hospital Disaster Preparedness in South Yemen. Prehosp and Disaster Med J. 2018;19:11-22. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049023X18000158
- Ibrahim FA. Nurses Knowledge, Attitudes, Practices and Familiarity Regarding Disaster and Emergency Preparedness–Saudi Arabia. Am J Nurs Sci. 2014;3(2):18–25. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajns.20140302.12.
- Moher, D., Shamseer, L., Clarke, M. et al. Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-Pstatement. Syst Rev.2015 https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-4053-4-1
- Berhanu B, Abrha H, Ejigu Y, et al. Knowledge, Experiences and Training Needs of Health Professionals about Disaster Preparedness and Response in Southwest Ethiopia: a cross sectional study. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2016;26(5):415–26. PMID: 28446847 doi: 10.4314/ejhs.v26i5.3
- Ingrassia PL, Foletti M, Djalali A, Scarone P, Ragazzoni L, et al. Education and training initiatives for crisis management in the European Union:a web-based analysis of available programs. Prehospital Disaster Med. 2014;29(2):115–26. DOI: 10.1017/S1049023X14000235
- Torani S, Majd PM, Maroufi SS, Dowlati M, Sheikhi RA.. The importance of education on disasters and emergencies: A review article. J Educ Health Promot. 2019;8:85-91. doi: 10.4103/jehp.jehp_262_18.
- Huh S‐S, Kang H‐Y. Effects of an educational program on disaster nursing competency. Public Health Nurs. 2018;1:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/ phn.12557
- Ghezeljeh TN, Aliha JM, Haghani H, Javadi N. Effect of education using the virtual social network on the knowledge and attitude of emergency nurses of disaster preparedness: A quasi-experiment study. Nur Educ Tod. 2019;1:73:88-93. DOI: 10.1016/j.nedt.2018.12.001
- Seyedin H, Dolatabadi ZA, Rajabifard F. Emergency nurses’ requirements for disaster preparedness. Trau Month. 2015;20(4):e29033. PMID: 26839868 doi: 10.5812/traumamon.29033
- Ghanbari V, Maddah SS, Khankeh HR, Karimloo M. The effect of a disaster nursing education program on nurses’ preparedness for responding to probable natural disasters. Ir J Nurs. 2011;24(73):72-80. http://ijn.iums.ac.ir/article-1-1048-en.html
- Aliakbari F, Aein F, Bahrami M. Assessment competencies among emergency nurses for responding in disaster situation with Objective Structured Clinical Examination. J Heal Promo Manag. 2014;3(3): 97-105. http://jhpm.ir/article-1-283-en.html
- Borhannejad Z, Sadat Madah S B, Khankeh H R, Falahi Khoshknab M, Rezasoltani P, Ahmadi S. Effect of Hospital Incident Command System Establishment on the Preparedness Level of Disaster Committee and Nursing Staff of Imam Ali Hospital, Zarand, Iran, 2010. HDQ. 2019;4(2):101-108. DOI: 10.32598/hdq.4.2.101
- Qureshi KA, Gershon RR, Merrill JA, Calero-Breckheimer A, Murrman M, Gebbie KM, Moskin LC, May L, Morse SS, Sherman M. Effectiveness of an emergency preparedness training program for public health nurses in New York City. Fami Commu Heal. 2004;1;27(3):242-9. DOI: 10.1097/00003727-200407000-00011