Background: Patient education is essential for all patients, and nurses should be competent in patient education.
Objectives: This study aimed to investigate the effect of training patients on their self-care capabilities, heart failure health behaviors, and satisfaction levels.
Methods: This study was conducted based on a quasi-experimental research method with a pretest-posttest design. The two study groups included individuals with heart failure and their nurses and a total of eight nurses working in the cardiology clinic and 31 patients. The nurses were trained on the program “Planned patient education” in three sessions and two meetings. Following the completion of this process, the nurses started their patient education (PE) in line with their training. The data on nurses were collected in pre-and post-training processes, and patients’ data were collected in three stages, including pre-education, discharge, and three months after education.
Results: The mean±SD score of Heart Failure Health Behavior Scale (HFHBS) in patients in the pre-and post-education period and three months after education were obtained at 47.54±11.98, 63.12±11.12, and 66.90±10.44, respectively, indicating a statistically significant difference between the groups. The mean score of the “Self-Care Maintenance” subcategory was estimated at 32.14±15.88, 51.17±17.60, and 53.43±18.14 in pre-and post-education period, and three months after education, respectively. The mean score of the “Self-Care Management” subcategory was obtained at 44.83±21.31, 53.87±19.22, and 8.38±26.18 in pre-and post-education period, and three months after education, respectively. The mean score of the “Self-confidence in Self Care” subcategory was obtained at 32.46±22.74, 48.78±25.78, and 45.91±30.65 in pre-and post-education period and three months after education, respectively. Patients were satisfied with the efficiency of the subjects covered (75.8%), nurses making short, understandable, and explicit sentences (87.9%), the usefulness of the topics covered (93.9%), and nurses’ knowledge (84.8%).
Conclusion: Based on the obtained results, PE enhanced the health behavior of people with chronic heart failure and improved patients’ self-care behaviors. The PE led to an increase in patient's satisfaction.
- Potter P, Perry A, Stockert P, Hall A. Fundamentals of nursing: Elsevier Health Sciences; 10th ed.2021.
- Avşar G, Kaşikçi M. Evaluation of patient education provided by clinical nurses in Turkey. Int J Nurs Prac. 2011;17(1):67-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2010.01908.x
- Park M. Nurses' perception of performance and responsibility of patient education. Taehan Kanho Hakhoe Chi. 2005;35(8):1514-21. https://jkan.or.kr/DOIx.php?id=10.4040/jkan.2005.35.8.1514
- Vafaee-Najar A, Ebrahimipour H, Shidfar M, Khani-Jazani R. Patient education services and the organizational factors affecting them at teaching hospitals affiliated with Mashhad University of Medical Sciences. J Men's Heal. 2012;9(4):230-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.jomh.2012.04.004
- Yıldırım N, Çiftçi B, Kaşıkçı M. Status of Nurses to Provide Patient Education and Determination of Affecting Factors. Atat Commu J.2017;14:217-30. PMID: 23983743. PMCID: PMC3748569
- Edwardson S. Patient education in heart failure.Heart & Lung. J Acut Criti Care. 2007;36(4):244-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2006.08.011
- Abdi A, Izadi A, Vafaeei K, Lorestani E. Assessment of Patient education barriers in viewpoint of nurses and general physicians. Int Res J App Basic Sci. 2014;8(12):2252-56. https://irjabs.com/files_site/paperlist/r_2451_150108160608
- Aziznezhad P, Zabihi A, Hosseini S, Bizhani A.Nurses and nurse managers opinions about the patient’s training barriers. J Babol Uni Med Sci. 2010;12(1):60-64. https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?ID=183331
- Rice H, Say R, Betihavas V. The effect of nurse-led education on hospitalisation, readmission, quality of life and cost in adults with heart failure. A System Rev. Patient Edu Couns. 2018;101:363-374. PMID: 29102442. DOI: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.10.002
- Karadakovan A, Eti Aslan F. Caring in medical surgical disease. Izmir Nobel Publisher, 5th ed. 2020.
- Lagger G, Pataky Z, Golay A. Efficacy of therapeutic patient education in chronic diseases and obesity. Patient Educ Couns. 2010;79(3):283-6. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20413242/
- King KC, Goldstein S. Congestive heart failure and pulmonary edema. StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing; Treasure Island, FL: 2021. PMID: 32119444
- Son Y-J, Choi J, Lee H-J. Effectiveness of Nurse-Led Heart Failure Self-Care Education on Health Outcomes of Heart Failure Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Int J Environ Res Pub Heal. 2020;17:6559. PMCID: PMC7560014. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph17186559
- Akdeniz Ş., Özer Z. The Effect Of Planned Patient Education On Symptom Management On The Patients Diagnosed With Heart Failure. EuroHeartCare Annual Congress of the Council on Cardiovasculer Nursing and Allied Professions, Norway, 2014; pp.1
- Enç N. Evaluation of Health Promoting Behaviors of Individuals with Heart Failure. Istanbul: Istanbul University, Florence Nightingale School of Nursing,1998.
- Riegel B, Dickson V, Hoke L, McMahon J, Reis B, Sayers S.A motivational counseling approach to improving heart failure self-care: mechanisms of effectiveness. J Cardiov Nurs. 2006;21(3):232-41. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16699364/
- Dickstein K, Cohen Solal A, Filippatos G, McMurray J, Ponikowski P, Poole‐Wilson P.ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure. Euro J Heart Fail. 2008;10(10):933-89. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18826876/
- Strömberg A, Dahlström U, Fridlund B. Computer-based education for patients with chronic heart failure: a randomised, controlled, multicentre trial of the effects on knowledge, compliance and quality of life. Patie Educ Couns. 2006;64(1):128-35. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16469469/
- Lainscak M, Blue L, Clark AL, Dahlström U, Dickstein K, Ekman I. Self‐care management of heart failure: practical recommendations from the Patient Care Committee of the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology. Euro J Heart Fail. 2011;13(2):115-26. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21148593/
- Mantovani VM, Ruschel KB, Souza ENd, Mussi C, Rabelo-Silva ER. Treatment adherence in patients with heart failure receiving nurse-assisted home visits. Acta Paul de Enfer. 2015;28(1):41-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1982-0194201500008
- Öztürk H, Çilingir D, Hintistan S. Assessing Through the Patients of Patient Trainings That Presented by Nurses In Medical and Surgical Clinics. DEUHYO ED. 2011;4(4):153-8. http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12397/4605