Introduction: Dermatomyositis (DM) is an idiopathic connective tissue disease with a wide range of systemic manifestations. Progressive proximal skeletal muscle weakness and symmetric and inflammatory infiltrates are the main clinical and histological features of DM.
Case presentation: In this study, we report the case of a 43-year-old male with DM and early pulmonary manifestations. A 50 mg/g daily dose of prednisolone was administered for the case. The symptoms of muscle weakness improved after 2 weeks. Commonly, pulmonary diseases occur after the occurrence of other connective tissue diseases. However, in the present case, pulmonary manifestations were observed many years before the incidence of DM symptoms.
Conclusions: The DM with pulmonary involvement is associated with worse outcomes; accordingly, a higher rate of mortality is reported among these patients. Based on the literature, the neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio and platelet-lymphocyte ratio are reliable markers for the diagnosis of DM, along with lung problems.
- Wendel S, Venhoff N, Frye BC, May AM, Agarwal P, Rizzi M et al. Successful treatment of extensive calcifications and acute pulmonary involvement in dermatomyositis with the Janus-Kinase inhibitor tofacitinib – A report of two cases. J Autoimmun. 2019;100:131-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jaut.2019.03.003. [PubMed: 30862449].
- Castro A, Barroso A, Parente B. Dermatomyositis as the first manifestation of a lung tumor. Rev Port Pneumol. 2013;19(4):179-83. doi: 10.1016/j.rppneu.2012.11.002. [PubMed: 23602006].
- Papakonstantinou E, Kapp A, Raap U. A mild form of dermatomyositis as a prodromal sign of lung adenocarcinoma: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2016;10(1):34. doi: 10.1186/s13256-016-0816-8. [PubMed: 26851947].
- Goldfischer J, RUBIN EH. Dermatomyositis with pulmonary lesions. Ann Intern Med. 1959;50(1):194-206. doi: 10.7326/0003-4819-50-1-194. [PubMed: 13617837].
- Chen I-J, Wu YJ, Lin CW, Fan KW, Luo SF, Ho HH et al. Interstitial lung disease in polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Clin Rheumatol. 2009;28(6):639-46.
- Hallowell RW, Ascherman DP, Danoff SK, editors. Pulmonary manifestations of polymyositis/dermatomyositis. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;35(2):239-48. doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1371528. [PubMed: 24668538].
- Magro CM, Schaefer JT, Waldman J, Knight D, Seilstad K, Hearne D. Terbinafine‐induced dermatomyositis: a case report and literature review of drug‐induced dermatomyositis. J Cutan Pathol. 2008;35(1):74-81. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0560.2007.00767.x. [PubMed: 18096000].
- Muscle examination in the evaluation of weakness. UpToDate.Available at: URL: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/muscle-examination-in-the-evaluation-of weakness; 2012.
- Hill CL, Zhang Y, Sigurgeirsson B, Pukkala E, Mellemkjaer L, Airio A et al. Frequency of specific cancer types in dermatomyositis and polymyositis: a population-based study. Lancet. 2001;357(9250):96-100. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(00)03540-6. [PubMed: 11197446].
- Lega JC, Cottin V, Fabien N, Thivolet-Béjui F, Cordier JF. Interstitial lung disease associated with anti-PM/Scl or anti-aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase autoantibodies: a similar condition? J Rheumatol. 2010;37(5):1000-9. doi: 10.3899/jrheum.090652. [PubMed: 20231208].
- Ahsen A, Ulu MS, Yuksel S, Demir K, Uysal M, Erdogan M et al. As a new inflammatory marker for familial Mediterranean fever: neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio. Inflammation. 2013;36(6):1357-62. doi: 10.1007/s10753-013-9675-2. [PubMed: 23794006].
- Qin B, Ma N, Tang Q, Wei T, Yang M, Fu H, et al. Neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio (NLR) and platelet to lymphocyte ratio (PLR) were useful markers in assessment of inflammatory response and disease activity in SLE patients. Mod Rheumatol. 2016;26(3):372-6. doi: 10.3109/14397595.2015.1091136. [PubMed: 26403379].
- Zou J, Guo Q, Chi J, Wu H, Bao C. HRCT score and serum ferritin level are factors associated to the 1-year mortality of acute interstitial lung disease in clinically amyopathic dermatomyositis patients. Clin Rheumatol. 2015;34(4):707-14. doi: 10.1007/s10067-015-2866-5. [PubMed: 25609178].
- Yang W, Wang X, Zhang W, Ying H, Xu Y, Zhang J et al. Neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio and platelet-lymphocyte ratio are 2 new inflammatory markers associated with pulmonary involvement and disease activity in patients with dermatomyositis. Clin Chim Acta. 2017;465:11-16. doi: 10.1016/j.cca.2016.12.007. [PubMed: 27965019].
- Uslu AU, Küçük A, Şahin A, Ugan Y, Yılmaz R, Güngör T et al. Two new inflammatory markers associated with Disease Activity Score‐28 in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: neutrophil‐lymphocyte ratio and platelet‐lymphocyte ratio. Int Rheumatic Dis. 2015;18(7):731-5. doi: 10.1111/1756-185X.12582. [PubMed: 25900081].
- Wu Y, Chen Y, Yang X, Chen L, Yang Y. Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio (NLR) and platelet-to-lymphocyte ratio (PLR) were associated with disease activity in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Int Immunopharmacol. 2016;36:94-9. doi: 10.1016/j.intimp.2016.04.006. [PubMed: 27111516].
- Marie I. Morbidity and mortality in adult polymyositis and dermatomyositis. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2012;14(3):275-85. doi: 10.1007/s11926-012-0249-3. [PubMed: 22410829].
- Ruperto N, Pistorio A, Oliveira S, Zulian F, Cuttica R, Ravelli A et al. Prednisone versus prednisone plus ciclosporin versus prednisone plus methotrexate in new-onset juvenile dermatomyositis: a randomised trial. Lancet. 2016;387(10019):671-8. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01021-1. [PubMed: 26645190].