Objective: To investigate the relationship between creatine kinase (CK) and major bleeding in non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (NSTE-ACS) patients during hospitalization, and to analyze the predictive value of CK for major bleeding in NSTE-ACS patients during treatment.
Methods: A total of 1469 NSTE-ACS patients admitted to our hospital from January 2017 to December 2019 were collected, including 1024 unstable angina pectoris patients and 445 non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction patients. Plasma CK and hemoglobin concentrations were measured after admission. The patients were divided into major bleeding group (n=31) and non-major bleeding group (n=1438) according to Thrombolysis In Myocardial Ischemia bleeding classification standard, and they were given routine treatment.
Results: During the treatment period, major bleeding occurred in 31 of 1469 NSTE-ACS patients, accounting for 2.11%. CK value in major bleeding group was higher than that in non-major bleeding group (P<0.001). According to the quartile, CK was divided into groups Q1-Q4, and the incidence of major bleeding in group Q4 was higher than that of the other three groups (P<0.001). Plasma CK was positively correlated with major bleeding in NSTE-ACS patients (r=0.59, P<0.001). Receiver operating characteristic curve analysis showed that the area under the curve of baseline CK value was 0.793 (SE=0.062, P=0.001, 95％CI 0.711-0.872) in NSTE-ACS patients during treatment.
Conclusion: CK was associated with major bleeding in NSTE-ACS patients.
- Saks V, Kaambre T, Guzun R, Anmann T, Sikk P, Schlattner U, et al. The creatine kinase phosphotransfer network: thermodynamic and kinetic considerations, the impact of the mitochondrial outer membrane and modelling approaches. Subcell Biochem. 2007;46:27-65. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4020-6486-9_3. [PubMed: 18652071].
- Brewster LM, Fernand J. Creatine kinase during non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndromes is associated with major bleeding. Open Heart.2020;7(2):e001281. doi: 10.1136/openhrt-2020-001281. [PubMed: 33262195].
- De Silva K, Myat A, Cotton J, James S, Gershlick A, Stone GW. Bleeding associated with the management of acute coronary syndromes. Heart. 2017;103(7):546-62. doi: 10.1136/heartjnl-2015-307602. [PubMed: 28087588].
- Moscucci M, Fox KA, Cannon CP, Klein W, López-Sendón J, Montalescot G, et al. Predictors of major bleeding in acute coronary syndromes: the Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events (GRACE). Eur Heart J. 2003;24(20):1815-23. doi: 10.1016/s0195-668x(03)00485-8. [PubMed: 14563340].
- Brewster LM, Fernand J. Creatine kinase is associated with bleeding after myocardial infarction. Open Heart. 2020;7(2):e001261. doi: 10.1136/openhrt-2020-001261. [PubMed: 32675301].
- Brewster LM. Extracellular creatine kinase may modulate purinergic signalling. Purinergic Signal. 2020;16(3):305-12. doi: 10.1007/s11302-020-09707-0. [PubMed: 32572751].
- Cardiovascular Branch of Chinese Medical Association, Editorial Board of Chinese Journal of Cardiovascular Diseases. Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (2016). Chin J Cardiol. 2017;45:359-76.
- Williams B, Mancia G, Spiering W, Rosei EA, Azizi M, Burnier M, et al. 2018 ESC/ESH Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension. Eur Hearth J. 2018;39(33):3021-104. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehy339. [PubMed: 30165516].
- Blankenship JC. Bleeding complications of glycoprotein IIb-IIIa receptor inhibitors. Am Heart J. 1999;138(4 Pt 2):287-96. doi: 10.1053/hj.1999.v138.a100461. [PubMed: 10502234].
- Chen WW, Gao RL, Liu LS, Zhu ML, Wang W, Wang YJ, et al. Summary of China's cardiovascular disease report 2017. Chin Circ J. 2018;33(1):1-8.
- Wallimann T, Dolder M, Schlattner U, Eder M, Hornemann T, O'Gorman E, et al. Some new aspects of creatine kinase (CK): compartmentation, structure, function and regulation for cellular and mitochondrial bioenergetics and physiology. Biofactors. 1998;8(3-4):229-34. doi: 10.1002/biof.5520080310. [PubMed: 9914824].
- Liu S, Wang H, Wang XY, Yu XY. Significance of the quality of creatine kinase in the diagnosis of myocardial damage in children. Zhonghua Weizhongbing Jijiu Yixue. 2011;23:363-4.
- Li N. Clinical, pathological and molecular biology research of myofibrillar myopathy and limb girdle syndrome. Hebei Med Univ. 2018;4:1-102.
- Castro-Gago M, Rodríguez-Núñez A, Novo-Rodríguez MI, Eirís-Puñal J. Biochemical parameters predictive of neuronal damage in childhood. Rev Neurol. 2001;32(12):1141-50. [PubMed: 11562846].
- Liu Y. Hypothyroidism with marked increase of creatine kinase and renal insufficiency: a case report. Zhongguo Xiaoyi. 2011;25:780-1.
- Lei YH, Meng QY. Clinical interpretation of the increase of creatine kinase and isoenzyme. J Doct Online. 2020;10:26.
- Lim GB. Coronary artery disease: Mortality after CABG surgery versus PCI. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2018;15(5):257. doi: 10.1038/nrcardio.2018.24. [PubMed: 29542727].
- Guo J, Yang TS, Gai LY, Chen L, Wang Y, Liu HB. Risk factors for major bleeding after percutaneous coronary intervention. Chin J Geriatr Heart Brain Ves Dis. 2007;9:723-5.
- Wang CH, Wang SA, Wang J, Wang SP, Zheng Z, Liu JH, et al. Risk factors for massive gastrointestinal bleeding after elective PCI in patients with coronary heart disease. Chin J Mult Organ Dis Elderly. 2016;15:739-43.