Background: Stroke as a complication of open-heart surgery can be a cause of death and widespread disability.
Objectives: This study aimed to determine the relationship between the SYNTAX Score and carotid artery stenosis and evaluate patients undergoing open-heart surgery in terms of postoperative complications and mortality in a six-month to two-year follow- up period.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted on 113 patients with CAD who underwent open-heart surgery at our hospital from 2016 to 2017. After collecting demographic data, the SYNTAX score, and color Doppler sonography report, the data were recorded and analyzed by SPSS22.
Results: In our study, most patients were male and aged between 50 and 70 years. The mean SYNTAX score was 32.667 + 13.668 in the group with significant carotid stenosis, 33.926 + 9.387 in the group with no significant carotid stenosis, and 30.868 + 9.963 in the group without carotid stenosis. The results showed no significant relationship between carotid artery stenosis and the SYNTAX score (P = 0.512) and no significant relationship between the SYNTAX score and surgical complications (P = 0.666).
Conclusions: According to the results, there is no significant relationship between the SYNTAX score and various indices related to heart disease, carotid artery stenosis, and postoperative morbidity and mortality. Thus, this index cannot be used to check and follow patients. However, further studies are needed to reach a definitive conclusion.
- Libman RB, Wirkowski E, Neystat M, Barr W, Gelb S, Graver M. Stroke associated with cardiac surgery. Determinants, timing, and stroke subtypes. Arch Neurol. 1997;54(1):83-7. doi: 10.1001/archneur.1997.00550130063017. [PubMed: 9006418].
- Likosky DS, Marrin CA, Caplan LR, Baribeau YR, Morton JR, Weintraub RM, et al. Determination of etiologic mechanisms of strokes secondary to coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Stroke. 2003;34(12):2830-4. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.0000098650.12386.B3. [PubMed: 14605327].
- Roger VL, Go AS, Lloyd-Jones DM, Benjamin EJ, Berry JD, Borden WB, et al. Executive summary: Heart disease and stroke statistics--2012 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2012;125(1):188-97. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0b013e3182456d46. [PubMed: 22215894].
- Selim M. Perioperative stroke. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(7):706-13. doi: 10.1056/NEJMra062668. [PubMed: 17301301].
- Naylor AR, Mehta Z, Rothwell PM, Bell PR. Carotid artery disease and stroke during coronary artery bypass: A critical review of the literature. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2002;23(4):283-94. doi: 10.1053/ejvs.2002.1609. [PubMed: 11991687].
- Sianos G, Morel MA, Kappetein AP, Morice MC, Colombo A, Dawkins K, et al. The SYNTAX Score: an angiographic tool grading the complexity of coronary artery disease. EuroIntervention. 2005;1(2):219-27. [PubMed: 19758907].
- Campos CM, Stanetic BM, Farooq V, Walsh S, Ishibashi Y, Onuma Y, et al. Risk stratification in 3-vessel coronary artery disease: Applying the SYNTAX Score II in the heart team discussion of the SYNTAX II trial. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2015;86(6):E229-38. doi: 10.1002/ccd.25907. [PubMed: 25946686].
- Ravikiran K, Ramachandra Raju PV, Patnaik AN, Arun Kumar Reddy YS, Ramesh G, Mohanrao J. Correlation of carotid intima-media thickness and plaque score with SYNTAX II score in patients with coronary artery disease: An observational study. Indian Heart J. 2017;69. doi: 10.1016/j.ihj.2017.09.034.
- Mombini H. To investigate the correlation between SYNTAX score with post on pump CABG atrial fibrillation. Ahvaz: Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences; 2015.
- Saedi S, Ghadrdoost B, Pouraliakbar H, Zahedmehr A, Jebelli A. The association between increased carotid intima-media thickness and SYNTAX Score in coronary artery disease: A single center study. Indian Heart J. 2018;70(5):627-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ihj.2018.01.010. [PubMed: 30392499]. [PubMed Central: PMC6205025].
- Costanzo L, Capodanno D, Manichino D, Sole A, Ronsivalle G, Di Pino L, et al. SYNTAX Score II predicts carotid disease in a multivessel coronary disease population. Int J Cardiol. 2015;196:145-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2015.06.005. [PubMed: 26093529].
- Ikeda N, Kogame N, Iijima R, Nakamura M, Sugi K. Carotid artery intima-media thickness and plaque score can predict the SYNTAX score. Eur Heart J. 2012;33(1):113-9. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehr399. [PubMed: 22028386].
- Avci A, Fidan S, Tabakci MM, Toprak C, Alizade E, Acar E, et al. Association between the gensini score and carotid artery stenosis. Korean Circ J. 2016;46(5):639-45. doi: 10.4070/kcj.2016.46.5.639. [PubMed: 27721854]. [PubMed Central: PMC5054175].
- Burlacu A, Siriopol D, Nistor I, Voroneanu L, Nedelciuc I, Statescu C, et al. Clinical SYNTAX Score - a good predictor for renal artery stenosis in acute myocardial infarction patients: Analysis from the REN-ACS trial. Arch Med Sci. 2017;13(4):837-44. doi: 10.5114/aoms.2016.60374. [PubMed: 28721152]. [PubMed Central: PMC5510498].