Background: Today, organization management in healthcare organizations needs to monitor and evaluate performance for better decision and policy making.
Objectives: This study aimed at determining the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) using software and a management dashboard.
Methods: This study searched several articles discussing KPIs of emergency departments. A comprehensive list of indicators was obtained and presented to an expert panel with a wide range of experiences. The experts finalized the KPIs. A second round was performed to confirm the performance using Smart Pilates software. Based on the final panel’s rating, a list of KPIs was developed to be used. The extracted data was prepared to be entered into the computer system to design the dashboard using QlickView software. Subsequently, according to the type of indicator, the dashboard was designed with special software.
Results: The extracted 14 KPIs of emergency departments were determined in three dimensions of input, process, and output. Following that, the project team designed a dashboard with 14 KPIs.
Conclusion: To design and develop a dashboard, the management of information was essential for organizations. It is recommended that managers use KPIs for evaluating and monitoring emergency departments. Moreover, it can be used for planning and evaluating the performance in emergency departments.
- Mayelafshar M, Noohi F, Riahi L, Nikravan A. Key performance indicators of emergency department: a literature review. Iran J Cardiovascular Nurs. 2019;8(1):10-9.
- Danish Health and Medicines Authority. Islands Brygge: Styrket akutberedskab-planlægningsgrundlag for det regionale sundhedsvæsen; 2007.
- Mollaei S, Bahadori M, Ameryoun A. The factors affecting the refusal to report medical errors on medical errors among nurses of selected military hospitals in Tehran, Iran. J Mil Med. 2018;20(3):255-64.
- Higginson I. Emergency department crowding. Emerg Med J. 2012;29(6):437-43. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2011-200532. [PubMed: 22223713].
- World Health Organization. Emergency care systems for universal health coverage: ensuring timely care for the acutely ill and injured. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2019. P. 1-6.
- Castro GG, Gaviria SM, Berrio YE, Mendez JA. Efficacy of high fidelity clinical simulation in the learning of ITLS trauma assessment. International Trauma Conference, Quebec, Canada; 2017.
- Emamgholipour S, Jaafaripooyan E, Mohammadshahi M, Mohammadi Yazani E. The effect of Health Sector Evolution Plan on the performance indices of emergency department in hospitals of Tehran & Iran universities of medical sciences: interrupted time series analysis. Iran J Emerg Med. 2018;5:e9.
- Mirhoseinie M, Ziadloo D, Nasirie N, Sayerinia A. Knowledge and attitude of health care workers providing services in Kerman University of Telemedicine. Tehran, Iran: Bioresonanse and Modern Medical Diagnoses; 2014.
- Khalifa M, Zabani I. Developing emergency room key performance indicators: what to measure and why should we measure it? Stud Health Technol Inform. 2016;226:179-82. [PubMed: 27350498].
- Ajami S, Bagheri-Tadi T. Health information technology and quality of care. J Inform Tech Soft Engg. 2013;7:e003.
- Zhang J, Lu X, Nie H, Huang Z, van der Aalst WM. Radiology information system: a workflow-based approach. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2009;4(5):509-16. doi: 10.1007/s11548-009-0362-6. [PubMed: 20033534].
- Mansoori B, Novak RD, Sivit CJ, Ros PR. Utilization of dashboard technology in academic radiology departments: results of a national survey. J Am Coll Radiol. 2013;10(4):283-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2012.09.030. [PubMed: 23545086].
- Morgan MB, Branstetter BF 4th, Mates J, Chang PJ. Flying blind: using a digital dashboard to navigate a complex PACS environment. J Digit Imaging. 2006;19(1):69-75. doi: 10.1007/s10278-005-8732-2. [PubMed: 16249835].
- Karami M, Safdari R. From information management to information visualization: development of radiology dashboards. Appl Clin Inform. 2016;7(2):308-29. doi: 10.4338/ACI-2015-08-RA-0104. [PubMed: 27437043].
- Swoyer S. In praise of dashboard ubiquity. Woodland Hills: The Data Warehouse Institute; 2006.
- Eckerson W. Embedded analytics: Closing the loop between operational and analytical applications. Woodland Hills: The Data Warehouse Institute; 2006.
- Dargahi H, Torabi M, Safdari R, Goodarzi M, Bayat M. Designing dashboard: an innovation for effective management of medical laboratory. Lab Diagn. 2018;9(38):44-52.
- Safari R, Rajabzadeh A, Memarpour M. Statistics applications with SPSS, LISREL, SmartPLS software. Tehran: Negah Danesh Publication; 2014.
- Si SL, You XY, Liu HC, Huang J. Identifying key performance indicators for holistic hospital management with a modified DEMATEL approach. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14(8):934. doi: 10.3390/ijerph14080934. [PubMed: 28825613].
- Boulkedid R, Abdoul H, Loustau M, Sibony O, Alberti C. Using and reporting the Delphi method for selecting healthcare quality indicators: a systematic review. PLoS One. 2011;6(6):e20476. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0020476. [PubMed: 21694759].
- Schull MJ, Guttmann A, Leaver CA, Vermeulen M, Hatcher CM, Rowe BH, et al. Prioritizing performance measurement for emergency department care: consensus on evidence-based quality of care indicators. CJEM. 2011;13(5):300-9. doi: 10.2310/8000.2011.110334. [PubMed: 21955411].
- Wakai A, O'Sullivan R, Staunton P, Walsh C, Hickey F, Plunkett PK. Development of key performance indicators for emergency departments in Ireland using an electronic modified-Delphi consensus approach. Eur J Emerg Med. 2013;20(2):109-14. doi: 10.1097/MEJ.0b013e328351e5d8. [PubMed: 22382650].
- Madsen MM, Eiset AH, Mackenhauer J, Odby A, Christiansen CF, Kurland L, et al. Selection of quality indicators for hospital-based emergency care in Denmark, informed by a modified-Delphi process. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2016;24:11. doi: 10.1186/s13049-016-0203-x. [PubMed: 26843014]
- Rahimi H, Kavosi Z, Shojaei P, Kharazmi E. Key performance indicators in hospital based on balanced scorecard model. J Health Manag Inform. 2017;4(1):17-24.
- Nikjoo RG, Beyrami HJ, Jannati A. Selecting hospital's key performance indicators, using analytic hierarchy process technique. J Community Health Res. 2013;2(1):30-8.
- Rademakers J, Delnoij D, de Boer D. Structure, process or outcome: which contributes most to patients' overall assessment of healthcare quality? BMJ Qual Saf. 2011;20(4):326-31. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs.2010.042358. [PubMed: 21339310].
- Martinez DA, Kane EM, Jalalpour M, Scheulen J, Rupani H, Toteja R, et al. An electronic dashboard to monitor patient flow at the johns hopkins hospital: communication of key performance indicators using the Donabedian model. J Med Syst. 2018;42(8):133. doi: 10.1007/s10916-018-0988-4. [PubMed: 29915933].
- Stokes-Buzzelli S, Peltzer-Jones JM, Martin GB, Ford MM, Weise A. Use of health information technology to manage frequently presenting emergency department patients. West J Emerg Med. 2010;11(4):348-53. [PubMed: 21079707].
- Lindsay P, Schull M, Bronskill S, Anderson G. The development of indicators to measure the quality of clinical care in emergency departments following a modified-delphi approach. Acad Emerg Med. 2002;9(11):1131-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2002.tb01567.x. [PubMed: 12414461].
- Schneider SM, Gallery ME, Schafermeyer R, Zwemer FL. Emergency department crowding: a point in time. Ann Emerg Med. 2003;42(2):167-72. doi: 10.1067/mem.2003.258. [PubMed: 12883503].
- Parish B, Sherkati S, Hasanzade N, Omidi M, Alizade M. The indices provided by the ministry of health and medical education in Shahid Madani emergency department and strategies to improve it. Tabriz: Tabriz University of Medical Sciences; 2013.
- Horwitz LI, Green J, Bradley EH. US emergency department performance on wait time and length of visit. Ann Emerg Med. 2010;55(2):133-41. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2009.07.023. [PubMed: 19796844].
- Selck FW, Decker SL. Health information technology adoption in the emergency department. Health Serv Res. 2016;51(1):32-47. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12307. [PubMed: 25854423].
- Sørup CM, Jacobsen P, Forberg JL. Evaluation of emergency department performance - a systematic review on recommended performance and quality-in-care measures. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2013;21:62. doi: 10.1186/1757-7241-21-62. [PubMed: 23938117].
- Forster AJ, Stiell I, Wells G, Lee AJ, van Walraven C. The effect of hospital occupancy on emergency department length of stay and patient disposition. Acad Emerg Med. 2003;10(2):127-33. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2003.tb00029.x. [PubMed: 12574009].
- Zohoor AR, Pilevar Zadeh M. Study of speed of offering services in emergency department at Kerman Bahonar hospital in 2000. Razi J Med Sci. 2003;10(35):413-9.
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Emergency department national indicators. Tehran: Ministry of Health and Medical Education; 2018.
- Baratloo A, Rahmati F, Forouzanfar MM, Hashemi B, Motamedi M, Safari S. Evaluation of performance indexes of emergency department. Iran J Emerg Med. 2015;2(1):33-8.
- Australian Capital Territory Auditor General Office. Health directorate. Performance audit report; emergency department performance information. Canberra, Australia: Australian Capital Territory Auditor General Office; 2012.
- Esteki R, Attafar A. Quality of nursing services (contemporary level of reality and level of expectation) from nurses' viewpoint on the basis of SERVQUAL Model in Al-Zahra Hospital in Isfahan (2010). Modern Care J. 2012;9(2):5206.
- McNatt Z, Linnander E, Endeshaw A, Tatek D, Conteh D, Bradley EH. A national system for monitoring the performance of hospitals in Ethiopia. Bull World Health Organ. 2015;93(10):719-726. doi: 10.2471/BLT.14.151399. [PubMed: 26600614].
- Mohan MK, Bishop RO, Mallows JL. Effect of an electronic medical record information system on emergency department performance. Med J Aust. 2013;198(4):201-4. doi: 10.5694/mja12.10499. [PubMed: 23451963].
- Diakogiannis A. Improving the performance of emergency departments: a survey from an operations management perspective. Ecole centrale Paris: Laboratoire Génie Industriel; 2014.
- Ajami S, Rezaee M, Taadi TB. Effect of Information Technology on ED’s Performance Indicators. J Inform Tech Softw Eng. 2016;6(181):2. doi: 10.4173/2165-7866.1000181.
- Ontario Hospital Association. Ontario hospital association 2013– 2016 strategic plan: a catalyst for change. Toronto, Canada: Ontario Hospital Association; 2016.
- Stevens A. Establishing quality indicators for medical imaging and the basic quality management toolbox. Durham, NC: eRADIMAGING; 2007
- Park KW, Smaltz D, McFadden D, Souba W. The operating room dashboard. J Surg Res. 2010;164(2):294-300. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2009.09.011. [PubMed: 20006345].
- Blais R, Champagne F, Rousseau L. TOCSIN: a proposed dashboard of indicators to control healthcare-associated infections. Healthc Q. 2009;12:161-7. doi: 10.12927/hcq.2009.20985. [PubMed: 19667795].