Background: Infective endocarditis (IE) is a relatively rare disease but with significant rates of morbidity and mortality. Vancomycin and teicoplanin are bacteriostatic glycopeptide antibiotics used for the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections.
Objectives: The current study aimed to compare the efficacy and adverse effects of vancomycin and teicoplanin in the treatment of patients with MRSA-IE.
Methods: This parallel, randomized, and controlled trial study was carried out on the efficacy and safety of teicoplanin versus vancomycin in the treatment of MRSA endocarditis within August 2012 and April 2017. The present study recruited adult patients with a definite or possible diagnosis of IE based on the Modified Duke Criteria. Vancomycin was intravenously administered at a dose of 30 mg/kg/day in two doses. Teicoplanin was administered at a loading dose of 6-12 mg/kg every 12 h in four doses and then continued once a day.
Results: Out of 86 patients with suspected IE, 66 patients were randomly assigned to the vancomycin (n=33) and teicoplanin (n=33) groups. The mean age values of the study subjects were 41±11.8 and 39±13.1 years in the vancomycin and teicoplanin groups, respectively. In addition, 27 patients (81.8%) in the vancomycin group met the criteria for microbiological cure, compared to 25 subjects (89.3%) in the teicoplanin group. In this regard, the observed difference was not statistically significant (P=0.41). Overall, the patients in the vancomycin group experienced more adverse events in comparison to those of the teicoplanin group (P=0.04). The rate of acute kidney injury over time, especially in the first week of therapy, was higher in the vancomycin group than that reported for the teicoplanin group (P=0.05).
Conclusion: It was concluded that the administration of vancomycin or teicoplanin does not significantly change the outcome of patients undergoing empirical treatment for MRSA-IE.
- Murray CJL, Vos T, Lozano R, Naghavi M, Flaxman AD, Michaud C, et al. Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet. 2012;380(9859):2197-223. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61689-4. [PubMed: 23245608].
- Slipczuk L, Codolosa JN, Davila CD, Romero-Corral A, Yun J, Pressman GS, et al. Infective endocarditis epidemiology over five decades: a systematic review. PloS one. 2013;8(12):e82665. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082665. [PubMed: 24349331].
- Alavi SM, Behdad F. Infective endocarditis among hospitalized intravenous drug user patients in the south west of Iran. Pak J Med Sci. 2010;26(3):659-62.
- Hajihossainlou B, Heidarnia MA, Sharif Kashani B. Changing pattern of infective endocarditis in Iran: A 16 years survey. Pak J Med Sci. 2013;29(1):85-90. doi: 10.12669/pjms.291.2682. [PubMed: 24353514].
- DeSimone DC, Tleyjeh IM, Correa de Sa DD, Anavekar NS, Lahr BD, Sohail MR, et al. Temporal trends in infective endocarditis epidemiology from 2007 to 2013 in Olmsted County, MN. Am Heart J. 2015;170(4):830-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2015.07.007. [PubMed: 26386808].
- Murdoch DR, Corey GR, Hoen B, Miro JM, Fowler Jr VG, Bayer AS, et al. Clinical presentation, etiology, and outcome of infective endocarditis in the 21st century: the international collaboration on endocarditis-prospective cohort study. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(5):463-73. doi: 10.1001/archinternmed.2008.603. [PubMed: 19273776].
- Selton-Suty C, Celard M, Le Moing V, Doco-Lecompte T, Chirouze C, Iung B, et al. Preeminence of staphylococcus aureus in infective endocarditis: a 1-year population-based survey. clinical infectious diseases : an official publication of the infectious diseases society of america. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54(9):1230-9. doi: 10.1093/cid/cis199. [PubMed: 22492317].
- Hoen B, Alla F, Selton-Suty C, Beguinot I, Bouvet A, Briancon S, et al. Changing profile of infective endocarditis: results of a 1-year survey in France. JAMA. 2002;288(1):75-81. doi: 10.1001/jama.288.1.75. [PubMed: 12090865].
- Cabell CH, Jollis JG, Peterson GE, Corey GR, Anderson DJ, Sexton DJ, et al. Changing patient characteristics and the effect on mortality in endocarditis. Arch Intern Med. 2002;162(1):90-4. doi: 10.1001/archinte.162.1.90. [PubMed: 11784225].
- Sy RW, Kritharides L. Health care exposure and age in infective endocarditis: results of a contemporary population-based profile of 1536 patients in Australia. Eur Heart J. 2010;31(15):1890-7. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehq110. [PubMed: 20453066].
- Cresti A, Chiavarelli M, Scalese M, Nencioni C, Valentini S, Guerrini F, et al. Epidemiological and mortality trends in infective endocarditis, a 17-year population-based prospective study. Cardiovasc Diagn Ther. 2017;7(1):27-35. doi: 10.21037/cdt.2016.08.09. [PubMed: 28164010].
- Habib G. Infective Endocarditis: Epidemiology, Diagnosis, Imaging, Therapy, and Prevention. 1 ed: Springer International Publishing; 2016.
- Fedeli U, Schievano E, Buonfrate D, Pellizzer G, Spolaore P. Increasing incidence and mortality of infective endocarditis: a population-based study through a record-linkage system. BMC Infect Dis. 2011;11(1):48. doi: 10.1186/1471-2334-11-48. [PubMed: 21345185].
- Fowler VG, Miro JM, Hoen B, Cabell CH, Abrutyn E, Rubinstein E, et al. Staphylococcus aureus endocarditis: A consequence of medical progress. JAMA. 2005;293(24):3012-21. doi: 10.1001/jama.293.24.3012. [PubMed: 15972563].
- Baddour LM, Wilson WR, Bayer AS, Fowler Jr VG, Tleyjeh IM, Rybak MJ, et al. Infective endocarditis in adults: diagnosis, antimicrobial therapy, and management of complications: a scientific statement for healthcare professionals from the american heart association. Circulation. 2015;132(15):1435-86. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000296. [PubMed: 26373316].
- Cavalcanti AB, Goncalves AR, Almeida CS, Bugano DD, Silva E. Teicoplanin versus vancomycin for proven or suspected infection. Cochrane Database Sys Rev. 2010;(6). doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD007022.pub2. [PubMed: 20556772].
- Svetitsky S, Leibovici L, Paul M. Comparative efficacy and safety of vancomycin versus teicoplanin: systematic review and meta-analysis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53(10):4069-79. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00341-09. [PubMed: 19596875].
- Huang JH, Hsu RB. Treatment of infective endocarditis caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: teicoplanin versus vancomycin in a retrospective study. Scand j Infect Dis. 2008;40(6-7):462-7. doi: 10.1080/00365540701837126. [PubMed: 18584532].
- Li JS, Sexton DJ, Mick N, Nettles R, Fowler Jr VG., Ryan T, et al. Proposed modifications to the Duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;30(4):633-8. doi: 10.1086/313753. Epub 2000 Apr 3. [PubMed: 10770721].
- Habib G, Lancellotti P, Antunes MJ, Bongiorni MG, Casalta J-P, Del Zotti F, et al. 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of infective endocarditisthe task force for the management of infective endocarditis of the european society of cardiology (ESC). Endorsed by: european association for cardio-thoracic surgery (EACTS), the european association of nuclear medicine (EANM). Eur Heart J. 2015;36(44):3075-128. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehv319. [PubMed: 26590409].
- Mehta RL, Kellum JA, Shah SV, Molitoris BA, Ronco C, Warnock DG, et al. Acute kidney injury network: report of an initiative to improve outcomes in acute kidney injury. Crit care . 2007;11(2):R31. doi: 10.1186/cc5713. [PubMed: 17331245].
- Martí-Carvajal AJ, Dayer M, Conterno LO, Gonzalez Garay AG, Martí-Amarista CE,Simancas-Racines D. A comparison of different antibiotic regimens for thetreatment of infective endocarditis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;4:CD009880. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009880.pub2. [PubMed: 27092951].