Introduction: Patients undergoing on-pump cardiac surgery are at risk of postoperative acute kidney injury (AKI). This is mainly due to some ischemic events and also pre-and postoperative stress responses which can result in postoperative organ dysfunction. Selenium (Se) as an antioxidant may help reduce inflammation and subsequent related complications. This study aimed to test if administration of oral Se complement before and after the on-pump cardiac surgery can reduce the incidence or severity of AKI following the operation.
Methods: In this randomized double-blind trial, the patients who were a candidate for on-pump cardiac surgery were randomly divided into two groups of intervention and control who received Se (n=60) or nothing (n=60), respectively. In the Se group, 500 µg of Se was administrated orally 14 and 2 h before surgery and every 12 h postoperatively for 2 days (overall 3000 µg), while the control group only received the routine and standard care. The patients were closely observed for the incidence and severity of postoperative AKI, using both Risk/Injury/Failure/Loss/End-stage (RIFLE) and the Acute Kidney Injury Network (AKIN) criteria.
Results: The study sample included 46 (38.3%) males and 74 (61.7%) females with a mean±SD age of 52.8±16.7 years. Both groups were similar in terms of demographic characteristics, comorbidities, and Euro-SCORE. According to the RIFLE criteria, AKI occurred in 11 (17.9%) and 13 (21.4%) patients in the Se and control group, respectively. However, based on AKIN criteria, there were 17 (28.6%) and 21 (35.7%) cases of AKI in the Se and the control group, respectively (P=0.73). The most frequent stage of AKI among patients was the first stage in both groups and the highest rate of AKI was observed within 3-4 days after the surgery in both groups.
Conclusion: The obtained results did not approve the effect of Se in AKI prevention in coronary artery bypass grafting patients.
- Kwiatkowski DM, Price E, Axelrod DM, Romfh AW, Han BS, Sutherland SM, et al. Incidence, risk factors, and outcomes of acute kidney injury in adults undergoing surgery for congenital heart disease. Cardiol Young. 2016;27(6):1068-75. doi: 10.1017/S1047951116002067. [PubMed: 27869053].
- Amini S, Abbaspour H, Morovatdar N, Robabi HN, Soltani G, Tashnizi MA. Risk factors and outcome of acute kidney injury after congenital heart surgery: a prospective observational study. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2017;21(12):847-51. doi: 10.4103/ijccm.IJCCM_459_16. [PubMed: 29307966].
- Schopka S, Diez C, Camboni D, Floerchinger B, Schmid C, Hilker M. Impact of cardiopulmonary bypass on acute kidney injury following coronary artery bypass grafting: a matched pair analysis. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014;9:20. doi: 10.1186/1749-8090-9-20. [PubMed: 24438155].
- Hori D, Katz NM, Fine DM, Ono M, Barodka VM, Lester LC, et al. Defining oliguria during cardiopulmonary bypass and its relationship with cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury. Br J Anaesth. 2016;117(6):733-40. doi: 10.1093/bja/aew340. [PubMed: 27956671].
- Spunda R, Valek M, Salmay M, Prskavec T, Pecha O, Lindner J, et al. Differential impact on acute kidney injury incidence between on- and off pump coronary artery bypass grafting in octogenarians. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub. 2015;159(3):449-54. doi: 10.5507/bp.2014.023. [PubMed: 24881588].
- Corredor C, Thomson R, Al-Subaie N. Long-term consequences of acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2016;30(1):69-75. doi: 10.1053/j.jvca.2015.07.013. [PubMed: 26482483].
- Mao H, Katz N, Ariyanon W, Blanca-Martos L, Adybelli Z, Giuliani A, et al. Cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury. Cardiorenal Med. 2013;3(3):178-99. doi: 10.1159/000353134. [PubMed: 24454314].
- Lassnigg A, Schmidlin D, Mouhieddine M, Bachmann LM, Druml W, Bauer P, et al. Minimal changes of serum creatinine predict prognosis in patients after cardiothoracic surgery: a prospective cohort study. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15(6):1597-605. doi: 10.1097/01.asn.0000130340.93930.dd. [PubMed: 15153571].
- Joannidis M. Medical therapy of acute kidney injury. Acta Clin Belg. 2007;62(Suppl 2):353-6. doi: 10.1179/acb.2007.079. [PubMed: 18283998].
- Bragadottir G, Redfors B, Ricksten SE. Mannitol increases renal blood flow and maintains filtration fraction and oxygenation in postoperative acute kidney injury: a prospective interventional study. Crit Care. 2012;16(4):R159. doi: 10.1186/cc11480. [PubMed: 22901953].
- Mitaka C, Ohnuma T, Murayama T, Kunimoto F, Nagashima M, Takei T, et al. Effects of low-dose atrial natriuretic peptide infusion on cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury: A multicenter randomized controlled trial. J Crit Care. 2016;38:253-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2016.12.004. [PubMed: 27997877].
- Iglesias P, Selgas R, Romero S, Díez JJ. Selenium and kidney disease. J Nephrol. 2013;26(02):266-72. doi: 10.5301/jn.5000213. [PubMed: 23023721].
- Ghorbani A, Omidvar B, Parsi A. Protective effect of selenium on cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity: a double-blind controlled randomized clinical trial. J Nephropathol. 2013;2(2):129-34. doi: 10.12860/JNP.2013.21. [PubMed: 24475439].
- Mohammadpour A, Amini S, Shakeri M, Mirzaie S. Comparing the effect of open and closed endotracheal suctioning on patients’ hemodynamic factors after coronary artery bypass grafting under mechanical ventilation. Horizon Med Sci. 2014;20(2):87-92.
- Sheybani S, Boustan S, Amini S, Najaf Najafi M, Abbasi Tashnizi M, Zirak N. Frequency of acute kidney injury in patients treated with normal saline after off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. J Cardio Thorac Med. 2017;5(1):533-7.
- Mao H, Katz N, Ariyanon W, Blanca-Martos L, Adýbelli Z, Giuliani A, et al. Cardiac surgery-associated acute kidney injury. Cardiorenal Med. 2013;3(3):178-99. doi: 10.1159/000353134. [PubMed: 24454314].
- Raja SG, Shah J, Navaratnarajah M, Amin F, Amrani M. Outcomes and predictors of mortality and stroke after on-pump and off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery in octogenarians. Innovations. 2013;8(4):269-75. doi: 10.1097/IMI.0000000000000000. [PubMed: 24145971].
- Reents W, Hilker M, Börgermann J, Albert M, Plötze K, Zacher M, et al. Acute kidney injury after on-pump or off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting in elderly patients. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;98(1):9-15. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.01.088. [PubMed: 24881861].
- Stoppe C, Rex S, Goetzenich A, Kraemer S, Emontzpohl C, Soppert J, et al. Interaction of MIF family proteins in myocardial ischemia.reperfusion damage and their influence on clinical outcome of cardiac surgery patients. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2015;23(11):865-79. doi: 10.1089/ars.2014.6243. [PubMed: 26234719].
- Stevanovic A, Coburn M, Menon A, Rossaint R, Heyland D, Schälte G, et al. The importance of intraoperative selenium blood levels on organ dysfunction in patients undergoing off-pump cardiac surgery: a randomised controlled trial. PloS One. 2014;9(8):e104222. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0104222. [PubMed: 25118980].
- Amini S, Robabi HN, Tashnizi MA, Vakili V. Selenium, vitamin C and N-Acetylcysteine do not reduce the risk of acute kidney injury after off-pump CABG: a randomized clinical trial. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2018;33(2):129-34. doi: 10.21470/1678-9741-2017-0071. [PubMed: 29898141].
- Amini S, Najafi MN, Karrari SP, Mashhadi ME, Mirzaei S, Tashnizi MA, et al. Risk factors and outcome of acute kidney injury after isolated CABG surgery: a prospective cohort study. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2019;34(1):70-5. doi: 10.21470/1678-9741-2017-0209. [PubMed: 30810677].
- Eslami G, Salehi R, Samaee H, Habibi V, Shokrzadeh M, Moradimajd P. Relationship between selenium trace and patient outcome after open-heart surgery. Anesth Pain Med. 2020;10(4):e105895. doi: 10.5812/aapm.105895. [PubMed: 33134151].
- Wendt S, Schomburg L, Manzanares W, Stoppe C. Selenium in cardiac surgery. Nutr Clin Pract. 2019;34(4):528-39. doi: 10.1002/ncp.10326. [PubMed: 31172596].
- Baş E, Naziroğlu M. Selenium attenuates docetaxel-induced apoptosis and mitochondrial oxidative stress in kidney cells. Anticancer Drugs. 2019;30(4):339-46. doi: 10.1097/CAD.0000000000000723. [PubMed: 30875346].