Background & Aim: Health volunteers are the main members of the healthcare system in dealing with critical situations. The present study aimed to design and validate the behavioral skills promotion of health volunteers’ questionnaires in disasters in Iran.
Materials & Methods: A five-point Likert (totally agree 5, totally disagree 1) was used to score the questionnaire. The questionnaire’s items were reviewed by 14 experts, and after content validity with Lawshe's formula, four items were removed and the number of items was reduced to 43 items. In this stage, 500 Red Crescent volunteers completed the questionnaire availability. Then, by examining the factor analysis, five items did not factor loads and were discarded. Finally, 38 items remained. Confirmatory factor analysis indicated that the behavioral skills promotion of health volunteer’s questionnaire model was fitted
Results: The findings of this study indicated that this questionnaire has good validity for the whole questionnaire and factors with Cronbach's alpha coefficient method. Moreover, the factor analysis results indicated that there were seven factors, which explained 60.52% of the total variance.
Conclusion: According to the obtained results, the questionnaire on behavioral skills promotion of health volunteers in disasters is a valid and reliable instrument in the case of critical situations in Iran.
- Flint C, Brennan M. Community emergency response teams: From disaster responders to community builders. Journal of Volunteer Administration. 2006;1(3):1-9.
- DeSimore CL. Response of public health workers to various emergencies. AAOHN Journal. 2009;57(1):17-23.
- Merchant RM, Stacy Elmer MD. Lurie N. Integrating social media into emergency-preparedness efforts. Nursing England Journal Medicine. 2011;365:289-291.
- Green GB, Modi S, lunney K, Thomas Tl. Generic evaluation methods for disaster drills in developing countries. Annals of Emergency medicine. 2003;41(5):689-699.
- Gebbie KM, Qureshi K. Emergency and disaster preparedness: Core competencies for nurses: What every nurse should but may not know. The American Journal of Nursing. 2002;102(1):46-51.
- Kamal A, Songwathana P, Sae-Sia W. Knowledge and skills of emergency care during disaster for community health volunteers: a literature review. Nurse Media Journal of Nursing. 2012;2(2):371-381.
- Aminizadeh M, Mahmouzadeh A, Saberinia A, Aminizadeh A. The Relationship of Motivation Factors and Satisfaction of Kerman Province Health Volunteers in Unexpected Events. Journal of Management & Medical Informatics Schol. 2014;2(1):57-65. [Persian]
- Whitmarsh L. Are flood victims more concerned about climate change than other people? the role of direct experience in risk perception and behavioral response. Journal of Francis Online. 2008;11(3):351-374.
- Soleimani A, Parishan M, Totakhaneh A. Modeling of villagers' behavior in the face of drought risk in Lake Urmia (Case study: villages in Bonab County). Quarterly Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 2021;23(7):133-146. [Persian]
- Zare H, Ghorbani S. Investigating the effect of risk perception, self-efficacy and social problem solving on helpful behaviors according to the mediating role of social intelligence. Social Psychology Research. 2021;11(43):19-34. [Persian]
- Seif AA. Educational psychology, psychology of learning and teaching. Fifth Edition. Tehran: Agah press; 2019. [Persian]
- Rezaie A, Khalilzadeh A. The relationship between social intelligence managers with job satisfaction of teachers in schools. Journal of Instruction & Evaluation. 2009;2(7):121-145. [Persian]
- Ghayem N. Cognitive phenomenological study of empathy phenomenon. Master Thesis in Clinical Psychology. Tehran: University of Science and Research; 2020
- Rahmati S, Houshmandi R, Mousavi Enzehaee A, Dehaghin V. Effectiveness of group training of transactional analysis (ta) on distress tolerance and social problem solving of delinquent adolescents. Quarterly Social Physiology Research. 2020;10(37):45-64. [Persian]
- Zhang J, Wu Q, Slensnick N. Social problem-solving and suicidal ideation among homeless youth receiving a cognitive therapy intervention: a moderated mediation analysis. Behaviout Therapy. 2021;52(3):552-563.
- Loosimore M. Organisational behaviour during a construction crisis. International Journal of Project Management. 1998;16(2):115-121
- Lehmann U, Sanders D. Community health workers- what do we know about them? The state of the evidence on programmer, activities, costs and impact on health outcomes of using community health workers. World Health Organization [Internet]. 2007 [Cited 2022 March 16]. Available from: https://www.hrhresourcecenter.org/node/1587.html
- Nik Nazli NN, Sipon S, Radzi HM. Analysis of training needs in disaster preparedness. Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2014;140:576-580.
- Juniper EF, Guyatt GH, Epstein RS, Ferrie PJ, Jaeschke R, Hiller TK. Evaluation of impairment of health related quality of life in asthma: development of a questionnaire for use in clinical trials. Thorax. 1992;47(2):76-83.
- Flemons WW, Reimer MA. Development of a disease-specific health-related quality of life questionnaire for sleep apnea. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 1998;158(2):494-503.
- Owsley C, McGwin G, Scilley K, Kallies K. Development of a questionnaire to assess vision problems under low luminance in age-related maculopathy. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2006;47(2):528-535.
- Eshaghi R, Farajzadegan Z, Anahita B. Healty lifestyle assessment questionnaire in elderly: translation, reliability and validity. Payesh. 2009;9(1):91-99. [Persian]
- Vahedparast H, Ravanipour M, Hajinezhad F, Kamali F, Gharibi T, Bagherzadeh R. Assessing hospital disaster preparedness of Bushehr province. Iranian South Medical Journal. 2013;16(1):69-76. [Persian]
- Nakhaei M, Tabiee S, Saadatjou SA, SabzehKar F. The effect of educational intervention on nurses' preparedness in emergencies and disasters. Journal of Birjand University Medical Sciences. 2019;26(3):237-248. [Persian]
- Parsaei M, Khankeh H, HabibiSaravi R, masoumi G, Hosseini SH. Hospital disaster preparedness in Mazandaran province, Iran 2017. Journal of Mazandaran University Medical Science. 2019;28(168):108-117. [Persian]
- Raneses MK, Richards AC, Richards J, Bubb J. Measuring the level of disaster preparedness in Auckland. Procedia Engineering. 2018;212:419-426.
- Abaszadeh MM, Nikbakht Nasrabadi A, Vaskoui Eshkevari Kh. Assessing educational needs of nurse managers affiliated to state hospitals. Iranian Journal of Nursing Research. 2010;4(15):16-24. [Persian]
- Kin Lam RP, Leung LP, Balsari S, Hsiao K, Newnham E, Patrick K et al. Urban disaster preparedness of Hong Kong residents: A territory-wide survey. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. 2017;23:63-69.
- Thomas NT, Leander Griffith M, Harp V, Cioffi JP. Influences of Preparedness Knowledge and Beliefs on Household Disaster Preparedness. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2015;46(35):965-971.
- Enarson E, Walsh S. Integrating emergency management and high-risk populations: survey report and action recommendations. Canadian Red Cros: Ottawa; 2007. Available from: https://scarp.ubc.ca/publications/integrating-emergency-management-and-high-risk-populations-survey-report-and-action
- Mendoza ERH, Perz SG, Souza da Silva S, Brown IF, Pinheiro PS. Revisiting the knowledge exchange train: scaling up dialogue and partnering for participatory regional planning. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. 2014;57(3):384-402.
- Tsai HT, Pai P. Why do newcomers participate in virtual communities? An integration of self-determination and relationship management theories. Decision Support Systems. 2014;57:178-187.
- Falconi M. Awareness and motivation in collaborative practice for disaster management. Master Thesis. Ottawa: University of Ottawa; 2015.
- Fabrigar L, Petty RE, Smith SM, Stephen L. Understanding knowledge effects on attitude-behavior consistency: the role of relevance, complexity, and amount of knowledge. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology. 2006;90(4):556-577.
- Cheung E. Hong Kong people not ready to deal with natural disasters, experts say. South China Morning Post [internet]. 24 Mar, 2015 [cited 2022, 12 March]. Available from: http://www.scmp.com/print/news/hong-kong/article/1745613/hong-kong-people-notready-deal-disaster-experts-say
- Jahani Eftekhari M, Peyman N, Doosti H. Health literacy and health-promoting lifestyle among health volunteers in Neyshabour. Scientific Journal of Ilam University of Medical Sciences. 2018;26(3):7-15. [Persian]
- Jongsawat N, Premchaiswadi W. A study towards improving web-based collaboration through availability of group awareness information. Group Decision and Negotiation. 2014;23(4):819-845.
- Abbasi Dolatabadi Z, Delkosh M, Abbasian F, Soltani Nejad S, Abdi Gangabadi MR, Saeedi SL. Nurses need for vigilance in disaster response. 5th seminar groups of nurses, and midwives research; 2012 Dec 7-8; Iran: Gorgan. [Persian]
- Osborn CY, Paasche MK, Bailey SC, Wolf MS. The mechanisms linking health literacy to behavior and health status. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2013;35(1):118-128.
- Eisenman DP, Zhou Q, Ong M, Asch S, Glik D, Long A. Variation in disaster preparedness by mental health, perceived general health, and disability status. Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2009;3:33-