Background and Objectives: Very few investigations and studies have been conducted on the provided information about varicose veins in web-based media worldwide. The present study aimed to investigate the categorization, characteristics, scientificity, and accuracy of such videos uploaded to YouTube.
Materials and Methods: YouTube was searched during November 2019, and the search keywords were "varicose vein", "varicose veins", and "varicose veins of lower extremities". The videos collected by retrieval were classified as useful, partially useful, and completely useless based on their scientific content, contemporariness, and accuracy. The analysis was mainly performed on the data collected from videos that were categorized as useful.
Results: In total, 635 (75.6%) out of 840 collected videos were excluded. Most videos on the website were uploaded by medical staff (31%, n=64). Based on the results, among the videos included in the data analysis, videos uploaded by official agencies were viewed more times than those uploaded by others. In addition, most of the useful videos were uploaded by official institutions.
Conclusions: Official institutions should provide more web-based videos with up-to-date, complete, and accurate information about varicose veins. Furthermore, effective search tools are needed for the identification of the videos uploaded by academic sources and institutions.
- Dharmarajah B, Lane TR, Moore HM, Neumann HM, Rabe E, Wittens CH, et al. The future of phlebology in Europe. Phlebology. 2014;29(1 Suppl):181-5. doi: 10.1177/0268355514527046. [PubMed: 24843107].
- Eberhardt RT, Raffetto JD. Chronic venous insufficiency. Circulation. 2014;130(4):333-46. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.006898. [PubMed: 25047584].
- Wittens C, Davies AH, Bækgaard N, Broholm R, Cavezzi A, Chastanet S, et al. Editor's choice - management of chronic venous disease: clinical practice guidelines of the European society for vascular surgery (ESVS). Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2015;49(6):678-737. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2015.02.007. [PubMed: 25920631].
- Carroll C, Hummel S, Leaviss J, Ren S, Stevens JW, Cantrell A, et al. Systematic review, network meta-analysis and exploratory cost-effectiveness model of randomized trials of minimally invasive techniques versus surgery for varicose veins. Br J Surg. 2014;101(9):1040-52. doi: 10.1002/bjs.9566. [PubMed: 24964976].
- Bozoglan O, Mese B, Eroglu E, Ekerbiçer HC, Yasim A. Comparison of endovenous laser and radiofrequency ablation in treating varices in the same patient. J Lasers Med Sci. 2017;8(1):13-6. doi: 10.15171/jlms.2017.03. [PubMed: 28912938].
- Yaylaci S, Serinken M, Eken C, Karcioglu O, Yilmaz A, Elicabuk H, et al. Are YouTube videos accurate and reliable on basic life support and cardiopulmonary resuscitation? Emerg Med Australas. 2014;26(5):474-7. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12274. [PubMed: 25168312].
- Mese B, Bozoglan O, Eroglu E, Erdem K, Acipayam M, Ekerbicer HC, et al. A comparison of 1470-nm endovenous laser ablation and radiofrequency ablation in the treatment ofgreat saphenous veins 10 mm or more in size. Ann Vasc Surg. 2015;29(7):1368-72. doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2015.03.063.
- Kumar N, Pandey A, Venkatraman A, Garg N. Are video sharing web sites a useful source of information on hypertension? J Am Soc Hypertens. 2014;8(7):481-90. doi: 10.1016/j.jash.2014.05.001. [PubMed: 25064770].
- Ahadiat O, Higgins S, Ly A, Nazemi A, Wysong A. Review of endovenous thermal ablation of the great saphenous vein: endovenous laser therapy versus radiofrequency ablation. Dermatol Surg. 2018;44(5):679-88. doi: 10.1097/DSS.0000000000001478. [PubMed: 29462021].
- Malskat WS, Giang J, De Maeseneer MG, Nijsten TE, van den Bos RR. Randomized clinical trial of 940- versus 1470-nm endovenous laser ablation for great saphenous vein incompetence. Br J Surg. 2016;103(3):192-8. doi: 10.1002/bjs.10035. [PubMed: 26661521].
- Wozniak W, Mlosek RK, Ciostek P. Complications and ´failure of endovenous laser ablation and radiofrequency ablation procedures in patients with lower extremity varicose veins in a 5-year follow-up. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2016;50(7):475-83. doi: 10.1177/1538574416671247. [PubMed: 27681171].