The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic illustrated the significance of using telemedicine for medical services to minimize the risk of infection more than ever. The implementation of telemedicine in the realm of eye expertise (teleophthalmology) has made it possible for both ophthalmic patients and COVID-19 positive cases to be taken care of in different ways of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up. This study aimed to discuss the ophthalmology challenges during the COVID-19 outbreak based on existing evidence, followed by proposing some solutions for utilizing telemedicine.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic. Worldometers. Avalable at:URL: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/;2020.
- Recommendations for urgent and nonurgent patient care. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Available at:URL: https://www.aao.org/headline/new-recommendations-urgent-nonurgent-patient-care.
- Labiris G, Panagiotopoulou EK, Kozobolis VP. A systematic review of teleophthalmological studies in Europe. Int J Ophthalmol. 2018;11(2):314-25. doi: 10.18240/ijo.2018.02.22. [PubMed: 29487825].
- Hanson C, Tennant MT, Rudnisky CJ. Optometric referrals to retina specialists: evaluation and triage via teleophthalmology. Telemed J E Health. 2008;14(5):441-5. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2007.0068. [PubMed: 18578678].
- Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y, Liang WH, Ou CQ, He JX , et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(18):1708-20. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2002032. [PubMed: 32109013].
- Hong N, Yu W, Xia J, Shen Y, Yap M, Han W, et al. Evaluation of ocular symptoms and tropism of SARS‐CoV‐2 in patients confirmed with COVID‐19. Acta Ophthalmol. 2020;10.1111/aos.14445. doi: 10.1111/aos.14445. [PubMed: 32336042].
- Daruich A, Martin D, Bremond-Gignac D. Ocular manifestation as first sign of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): interest of telemedicine during the pandemic context. J Fr Ophtalmol. 2020;43(5):389-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jfo.2020.04.002. [PubMed: 32334847].
- Chinese Doctor, Silenced After Warning of Outbreak, Dies From Coronavirus. The New York Times. Available at:URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/world/asia/chinese-doctor-Li-Wenliang-coronavirus.html; 2020.
- COVID-19 and Diabetes. WebMD. Available at:URL: https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/diabetes-and-coronavirus; 2020.
- Au S. A surge in eye clinic nonattendance under 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2020;68(5):948. doi: 10.4103/ijo.IJO_673_20. [PubMed: 32317502].
- Williams AM, Kalra G, Commiskey PW, Bowers EM, Rudolph BR, Pitcher MD. Ophthalmology practice during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic: The University of Pittsburgh Experience in promoting clinic safety and embracing video visits. Ophthalmol Ther. 2020;9(3):1-9. doi: 10.1007/s40123-020-00255-9. [PubMed: 32377502].