Background: Health literacy refers to the skills and abilities people acquire, analyze, and understand regarding basic health information and services they need so that they can contribute to their health issues and make the right decision. Moreover, given the importance of diabetes in the world and Iran, as well as the impact of health information literacy on the quality of life and control of diabetes, this study aimed to evaluate health information literacy of type 2 diabetic patients and design an information service model for promoting their health information literacy.
Method: In this study, semi-structured interviews were used to collect the qualitative data needed to present the model. In the qualitative method, semi-structured interviews were conducted with 14 health literacy experts selected through purposive sampling. The Grounded Theory method was then used for analyzing interviews and explaining related dimensions and components.
Results: In total, five categories (nutritional factors, media development, physical activity, inclusive education, as well as racial and age consciousness) and a core category of "type 2 diabetes recognition" were identified in this study.
Conclusion: It was found that diabetes type 2 was heavily influenced by lifestyle and education factors. Finally, according to the interviews, a model was developed to improve the health literacy of diabetic patients.
- Rader HB. Information literacy-an emerging global priority. White paper prepared for UNESCO, the US National Commission on Libraries and Information Science. 2002;12:02-15.
- Feast V. Integration of information literacy skills into business courses. Reference services review. 2003. doi: 10.1108/00907320310460942
- Sørensen K, Van den Broucke S, Fullam J, Doyle G, Pelikan J, Slonska Z, et al. Health literacy and public health: a systematic review and integration of definitions and models. BMC public health. 2012;12(1):1-13. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-12-80. [PubMed: 22276600].
- Panahi R, Osmani F, Sahraei M, Ebrahimi S, Shamsizadeh Nehadghashti M, Javanmardi E. Relationship of health literacy and quality of life in adults residing in Karaj, Iran. J Educ Community Health. 2018;4(4):13-9. doi: 10.21859/jech.4.4.13
- Federation ID. IDF diabetes atlas 8th edition. International Diabetes Federation. 2017:905-11.
- Holman N, Young B, Gadsby R. Current prevalence of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in adults and children in the UK. Diabetic medicine: a journal of the British Diabetic Association. 2015;32(9):1119-20. doi: 10.1111/dme.12791. [PubMed: 25962518].
- Krichbaum K, Aarestad V, Buethe M. Exploring the connection between self-efficacy and effective diabetes self-f management. The Diabetes Educator. 2003;29(4):653-62. doi: 10.1177/014572170302900411. [PubMed: 13677176].
- Bailey SC, Brega AG, Crutchfield TM, Elasy T, Herr H, Kaphingst K, et al. Update on health literacy and diabetes. The Diabetes Educator. 2014;40(5):581-604. doi: 10.1177/0145721714540220. [PubMed: 24947871].
- Eisenberg MB, Berkowitz RE. Information Problem-Solving: The Big Six Skills Approach. School Library Media Activities Monthly. 1992;8(5):27.
- Afshari M, Khazaei S, Bahrami M, Merati H. Investigating adult health literacy in Tuyserkan city. J Educ Community Health. 2014;1(2):48-55. doi: 10.20286/jech-010248.
- Ahmadi F, Mehrmohammadi M, Montazeri A, Vella J. Health Literacy and Teacher Education. The Journal of New Thoughts on Education. 2018;14(1):7-30. doi: 10.22051/jontoe.2018.13734.1648.
- Borji M, Tarjoman A, Otaghi M, Salimi E, Naseri A. Health literacy level and its related factors among the elderlies in Ilam in 2015. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2017;30(108):33-43. doi: 10.29252/ijn.30.108.33.
- Luo H, Patil SP, Wu Q, Bell RA, Cummings DM, Adams AD, et al. Validation of a combined health literacy and numeracy instrument for patients with type 2 diabetes. Patient education and counseling. 2018;101(10):1846-51. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2018.05.017. [PubMed: 29805071].
- Shiyanbola OO, Unni E, Huang Y-M, Lanier C. The association of health literacy with illness perceptions, medication beliefs, and medication adherence among individuals with type 2 diabetes. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. 2018;14(9):824-30. doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2017.12.005. [PubMed: 29317189].
- Chinenye S, Uloko AE, Ogbera AO, Ofoegbu EN, Fasanmade OA, Fasanmade AA, et al. Profile of Nigerians with diabetes mellitus–Diabcare Nigeria study group (2008): Results of a multicenter study. Indian journal of endocrinology and metabolism. 2012;16(4):558. doi: 10.4103/2230-8210.98011. [PubMed: 22837916].
- Fox S. The online health care revolution: How the web helps Americans Take better care of themselves. A Pew Internet and American Life Project Online Report. http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/pdfs/PIP_Health_Report pdf. 2000.
- Praet SF, Van Loon LJ. Optimizing the therapeutic benefits of exercise in type 2 diabetes. Journal of applied physiology. 2007;103(4):1113-20. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00566.2007. [PubMed: 17656625].
- Bergman MM, Scott J. Young adolescents' wellbeing and health-risk behaviours: Gender and socio-economic differences. Journal of adolescence. 2001;24(2):183-97. doi: 10.1006/jado.2001.0378. [PubMed: 11437479].
- VOSOGHI KN, ABOOTALEBI DG, Farahani B, Mohammadnezhad E, Sajjadi A. The study of self-care agency in patients with diabetes (Ardabil). 2012.
- Barone B, Rodacki M, Zajdenverg L, Almeida M, Cabizuca C, Barreto D, et al. Family history of type 2 diabetes is increased in patients with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes research and clinical practice. 2008;82(1):e1-e4. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2008.03.015. [PubMed: 18835018].
- Strauss A, Corbin JM. Grounded theory in practice: Sage; 1997.
- Azkia M, Imani A. Theoretical analysis of land exploitation systems with an emphasis on pastures. Community Development (Rural and Urban Communities). 2012;3(2):1-28.
- Shum J, Poureslami I, Wiebe D, Doyle-Waters MM, Nimmon L, FitzGerald JM, et al. Airway diseases and health literacy (HL) measurement tools: a systematic review to inform respiratory research and practice. Patient education and counseling. 2018;101(4):596-618. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.10.011. [PubMed: 29107399].
- Van de Vord R. Distance students and online research: Promoting information literacy through media literacy. The Internet and Higher Education. 2010;13(3):170-5. doi: 10.1016/j.iheduc.2010.03.001
- Gaster L, Squires A. Providing quality in the public sector: a practical approach to improving public services: Public Policy and Management; 2003.