Background: Soft-tissue sarcomas are cancerous growths of mesenchymal tissues, most commonly arising from fat, muscles, and other connective tissues. Due to the fact that these tumors often lie adjacent to nerves and blood vessels, it is difficult to remove them. Traditional surgery is often carried out according to the operator’s discretion and experience of local anatomy; however, the surgery bears the risk of damage to nerves and blood vessels. In cases of postoperative recurrence, the local anatomy is often not clear due to scar formation, and the risk of operation would be greater.
Case presentation: This report describes the application of three-dimensional (3D) modeling prior to surgery, which can clearly reveal the tumor tissue and the surrounding important nerves and blood vessels.
Conclusion: In two operations for recurrent soft-tissue sarcoma of the thigh with complex adjacencies, it was found that 3D models are of great value for preoperative planning and intraoperative navigation. More importantly, these models can improve the success rate of surgery and reduce the operative time.
- Ozturk AM, Sirinturk S, Kucuk L, Yaprak F, Govsa F, Ozer MA, et al. Multidisciplinary Assessment of Planning and Resection of Complex Bone Tumor Using Patient-Specific 3D Model. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2019;10(1):115-24. doi: 10.1007/s13193-018-0852-5. [PubMed: 30948885].
- Hoang D, Perrault D, Stevanovic M, Ghiassi A. Surgical applications of three-dimensional printing: a review of the current literature & how to get started. Ann Transl Med. 2016;4(23):456. doi: 10.21037/atm.2016.12.18. [PubMed: 28090512].
- Cromeens BP, Ray WC, Hoehne B, Abayneh F, Adler B, Besner GE. Facilitating surgeon understanding of complex anatomy using a three-dimensional printed model. J Surg Res. 2017;216:18-25. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2017.04.003. [PubMed: 28807205].
- Tetsworth K, Block S, Glatt V. Putting 3D modelling and 3D printing into practice: virtual surgery and preoperative planning to reconstruct complex post-traumatic skeletal deformities and defects. SICOT J. 2017;3:1-10. doi: 10.1051/sicotj/2016043. [PubMed: 28220752].
- Fillat-Goma F, Marcano-Fernandez FA, Coderch-Navarro S, Martinez-Carreres L, Berenguer A. 3D printing innovation: New insights into upper extremity surgery planning. Injury. 2021;52(4):117-24. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2021.01.048. [PubMed: 33632605].
- Tan D, Yao J, Hua X, Li J, Xu Z, Wu Y, et al. Application of 3D modeling and printing technology in accurate resection of complicated thoracic tumors. Ann Transl Med. 2020;8(21):1342. doi: 10.21037/atm-20-1791. [PubMed: 33313087].
- Pugliese L, Marconi S, Negrello E, Mauri V, Peri A, Gallo V, et al. The clinical use of 3D printing in surgery. Updates Surg. 2018;70(3):381-8. doi: 10.1007/s13304-018-0586-5. [PubMed: 30167991].
- Nesic D, Schaefer BM, Sun Y, Saulacic N, Sailer I. 3D Printing Approach in Dentistry: The Future for Personalized Oral Soft Tissue Regeneration. J Clin Med. 2020;9(7):1-21. doi: 10.3390/jcm9072238. [PubMed: 32679657].
- Martelli N, Serrano C, van den Brink H, Pineau J, Prognon P, Borget I, et al. Advantages and disadvantages of 3-dimensional printing in surgery: A systematic review. Surgery. 2016;159(6):1485-500. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2015.12.017. [PubMed: 26832986].
- Langridge B, Momin S, Coumbe B, Woin E, Griffin M, Butler P. Systematic Review of the Use of 3-Dimensional Printing in Surgical Teaching and Assessment. J Surg Educ. 2018;75(1):209-21. doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2017.06.033. [PubMed: 28729190].
- Chae MP, Rozen WM, McMenamin PG, Findlay MW, Spychal RT, Hunter-Smith DJ. Emerging Applications of Bedside 3D Printing in Plastic Surgery. Front Surg. 2015;2:25. doi: 10.3389/fsurg.2015.00025. [PubMed: 26137465].
- Anand S, Krishnan N, Goel P, Dhua AK, Jain V, Yadav DK, et al. Utility of Three-Dimensional Printing for Preoperative Assessment of Children with Extra-Cranial Solid Tumors: A Systematic Review. Pediatr Rep. 2022;14(1):32-9. doi: 10.3390/pediatric14010006. [PubMed: 35076594].
- Wu P, Elswick SM, Arkhavan A, Molinar VE, Mohan AT, Curiel D, et al. Risk Factors for Lymphedema after Thigh Sarcoma Resection and Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020;8(7):2912. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000002912. [PubMed: 32802644].
- Ballard DH, Mills P, Duszak R, Weisman JA, Rybicki FJ, Woodard PK. Medical 3D Printing Cost-Savings in Orthopedic and Maxillofacial Surgery: Cost Analysis of Operating Room Time Saved with 3D Printed Anatomic Models and Surgical Guides. Acad Radiol. 2020;27(8):1103-13. doi: 10.1016/j.acra.2019.08.011. [PubMed: 31542197]
- Wilcox B, Mobbs RJ, Wu AM, Phan K. Systematic review of 3D printing in spinal surgery: the current state of play. J Spine Surg. 2017;3(3):433-43. doi: 10.21037/jss.2017.09.01. [PubMed: 29057355].
- Cacciamani GE, Okhunov Z, Meneses AD, Rodriguez-Socarras ME, Rivas JG, Porpiglia F, et al. Impact of Three-dimensional Printing in Urology: State of the Art and Future Perspectives. A Systematic Review by ESUT-YAUWP Group. Eur Urol. 2019;76(2):209-21. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2019.04.044. [PubMed: 31109814].
- Chepelev L, Wake N, Ryan J, Althobaity W, Gupta A, Arribas E, et al. Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) 3D printing Special Interest Group (SIG): guidelines for medical 3D printing and appropriateness for clinical scenarios. 3D Print Med. 2018;4(1):11. doi: 10.1186/s41205-018-0030-y. [PubMed: 30649688].
- Bohl MA, Zhou JJ, Mooney MA, Repp GJ, Cavallo C, Nakaji P, et al. The Barrow Biomimetic Spine: effect of a 3-dimensional-printed spinal osteotomy model on performance of spinal osteotomies by medical students and interns. J Spine Surg. 2019;5(1):58-65. doi: 10.21037/jss.2019.01.05. [PubMed: 31032439].
- Choy WJ, Parr WCH, Phan K, Walsh WR, Mobbs RJ. 3-dimensional printing for anterior cervical surgery: a review. J Spine Surg. 2018;4(4):757-69. doi: 10.21037/jss.2018.12.01.
- Thayaparan GK, Owbridge MG, Thompson RG, D'Urso PS. Designing patient-specific solutions using biomodelling and 3D-printing for revision lumbar spine surgery. Eur Spine J. 2019;28(2):18-24. doi: 10.1007/s00586-018-5684-z. [PubMed: 29992449].
- Sheha ED, Gandhi SD, Colman MW. 3D printing in spine surgery. Ann Transl Med. 2019;7(5):1-10. doi: 10.21037/atm.2019.08.88. [PubMed: 31624730].