Introduction: Propranolol is a non-specific beta-blocker that is used to treat hypertension, angina, arrhythmia, tremor, and manage thyrotoxicosis. Based on the results of various studies, propranolol can control infantile hemangioma by vasoconstriction, apoptosis induction, and inhibition of cell proliferation signals.
Methods: The conventional film hydration method was used to prepare medium size (2-6 m) multilamellar vesicles (MLVs) containing propranolol. At the lipid phase, sorbitan esters (Spans) and their polyethoxylated derivatives (Tweens) were combined with cholesterol, and deionized water was utilized as a hydration medium. Laser light scattering was used to perform the size analysis, and the Franz diffusion cells were utilized to investigate the release of propranolol from niosomal suspensions and carbomer-based niosomal gels. The vesicles were assessed for their stability within six-month storage at 4°C, and ultraviolet spectrophotometer and centrifuge technique were employed to measure the efficiencies of encapsulation.
Results: Based on the findings, the best niosomes were obtained at 40 and 60 spans in the presence of Tween 40 and 60; however, Span/Tween 20 and 80 were not able to form propranolol niosomes. The selected formulations had an MLV appearance and size distribution of 5 μm. Encapsulation efficiency and release rate of selected niosomes were optimal. Niosomes had good stability during six months of storage at refrigerator temperature.
Conclusions: Based on the obtained results in this study, the application of a new topical dosage form of propranolol showed promising results for the treatment of infantile hemangioma.
- Valdivielso‐Ramos M, Martin‐Santiago A, Azaña JM, Hernández‐Nuñez A, Vera A, Perez B, et al. Capillary malformation− arteriovenous malformation syndrome: a multicentre study. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2021;46(2):300-5. doi: 10.1111/ced.14428. [PubMed: 32840927]
- Metry DW, Levy M, Corona R. Infantile hemangiomas: Management. UpTodate Last updated may. 2018;16[m1] .
- Polites SF, Watanabe M, Crafton T, Jenkins TM, Alvarez-Allende CR, Hammill AM, et al. Surgical resection of infantile hemangiomas following medical treatment with propranolol versus corticosteroids. J Pediatr Surg. 2019;54(4):740-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2018.08.001. [PubMed: 30249358].
- Frongia G, Byeon JO, Mehrabi A, Günther P. Recurrence rate of infantile hemangioma after oral propranolol therapy. Eur J Pediatr. 2021;180(2):585-90. doi: 10.1007/s00431-020-03872-5. [PubMed: 33188478].
- Hnawate R, Deore P. Nanoparticle-novel drug delivery system: A Review. Int Pharma News. 2021;5(5):9-23.
- Kauslya A, Borawake PD, Shinde JV, Chavan RS. Niosomes: A Novel Carrier Drug Delivery System. J Drug Deliv Ther. 2021;11(1):162-70. doi: 10.22270/jddt.v11i1.4479.
- Desai SV, Joshi B, Upadhyay U. An Overview on Niosomes As Novel Drug Delivery Systems. RJPDFT. 2020;12(4):271-81. doi: 10.5958/0975-4377.2020.00045.2.
- Poorani V, Selvakumar K, Kumar GV. Improving Bioavailability of Phytochemicals through Niosomes. J Drug Deliv Ther. 2020;10(6):189-91. doi: 10.22270/jddt.v10i6-s.4459.
- Shah P, Goodyear B, Haq A, Puri V, Michniak-Kohn B. Evaluations of quality by design (QbD) elements impact for developing niosomes as a promising topical drug delivery platform. Pharmaceutics. 2020;12(3):246. doi: 10.3390/pharmaceutics12030246. [PubMed: 32182792].
- Gugleva V, Titeva S, Rangelov S, Momekova D. Design and in vitro evaluation of doxycycline hyclate niosomes as a potential ocular delivery system. Int J Pharm. 2019;567:118431. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2019.06.022.[PubMed: 31207279].
- Akbarzadeh I, Shayan M, Bourbour M, Moghtaderi M, Noorbazargan H, Eshrati Yeganeh F, et al. Preparation, Optimization and In-Vitro Evaluation of Curcumin-Loaded [email protected] calcium Alginate Nanocarrier as a New Approach for Breast Cancer Treatment. Biology. 2021;10(3):173. doi: 10.3390/biology10030173. [PubMed: 33652630].
- Mirzaie A, Peirovi N, Akbarzadeh I, Moghtaderi M, Heidari F, Yeganeh FE, et al. Preparation and optimization of ciprofloxacin encapsulated niosomes: A new approach for enhanced antibacterial activity, biofilm inhibition and reduced antibiotic resistance in ciprofloxacin-resistant methicillin-resistance Staphylococcus aureus. Bioorg Chem. 2020;103:104231. doi: 10.1016/j.bioorg.2020.104231.
- Mishra V, Nayak P, Singh M, Sriram P, Suttee A. Niosomes: Potential Nanocarriers for Drug Delivery. J Pharm Clin Res. 2020;11(03):389-94.
- El-Mahdy M, Mohamed EEM, Saddik MS, Ali MF, El-Sayed AM. Formulation and clinical evaluation of niosomal methylene blue for successful treatment of acne. JABPS. 2020;3(3):116-26. doi: 10.21608/JABPS.2020.25846.1079.
- Alyami H, Abdelaziz K, Dahmash EZ, Iyire A. Nonionic surfactant vesicles (niosomes) for ocular drug delivery: Development, evaluation and toxicological profiling. J Drug Deliv Sci Technol. 2020;60:102069. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2020.102069.
- Chen S, Hanning S, Falconer J, Locke M, Wen J. Recent advances in non-ionic surfactant vesicles (niosomes): Fabrication, characterization, pharmaceutical and cosmetic applications. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2019;144:18-39. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2019.08.015.
- Dey J, Ghosh R, Das Mahapatra R. Self-assembly of unconventional low-molecular-mass amphiphiles containing a PEG chain. Langmuir. 2018;35(4):848-61. doi: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b00779. [PubMed: 29923405].
- Maritim S, Boulas P, Lin Y. Comprehensive analysis of liposome formulation parameters and their influence on encapsulation, stability and drug release in glibenclamide liposomes. Int J Pharm. 2020;592:120051. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2020.120051. [PubMed: 33161039].