Background: Patients with heart failure need to be engaged in adequate cardiac self-care behaviors helping to prevent the development of the disease and ameliorate their health status. However, the conceptual model of the present study has not been tested in previous studies among patients with heart failure.
Objectives: The present study aimed to investigate the psychosocial determinants based on Pender’s health promotion model (HPM) affecting self-care behavior among outpatients suffering from heart failure.
Methods: In this cross-sectional study, a total of 200 patients suffering from heart failure were selected from the outpatient clinics of Tabriz, Iran, using convenience sampling and assessed for self-self-care behaviors and major concepts of HPM via self-administered questionnaires. Path analysis was used in order to analyze the conceptual model
Results: The present hypothetical model showed a good fit. Perceived benefits and activity-related effects directly affected self-care behaviors. Bootstrapping mediation analyses indicated that perceived self-efficacy, perceived barriers, perceived benefits, and activity-related effects indirectly affected self-care behaviors through commitment to action.
Conclusions: The commitment to action can help to promote self-care behaviors among the subjects suffering from heart failure. The interventions should take the role of predictive variables of this study and commitment to action into account in these patients.
- Hatmi ZN, Tahvildari S, Motlag AG, Kashani AS. Prevalence of coronary artery disease risk factors in Iran: A population based survey. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2007;7:32. doi: 10.1186/1471-2261-7-32. [PubMed: 17971195].
- Goodie, Jeffrey L., Kevin Wilfong, and Phillip Kroke. "The influence of health behaviors upon the association between stress and depression and cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular Implications of Stress and Depression. Academic Press, 2020. P:225-254.
- Bui AL, Horwich TB, Fonarow GC. Epidemiology and risk profile of heart failure. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2011;8(1):30-41. doi: 10.1038/nrcardio.2010.165. [PubMed: 21060326].
- Norton C, Georgiopoulou VV, Kalogeropoulos AP, Butler J. Epidemiology and cost of advanced heart failure. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2011;54(2):78-85. doi: 10.1016/j. pcad.2011.04.002. [PubMed: 21875507].
- Miller LW. Heart failure: who we treat versus who we study. Cardiol Clin. 2008;26(1):113-25. doi: 10.1016/j. ccl.2007.10.005. [PubMed: 18312911].
- Goldberg RJ, Ciampa J, Lessard D, Meyer TE, Spencer FA. Long-term survival after heart failure: a contemporary population-based perspective. Arch Intern Med. 2007;167(5):490-6. doi: 10.1001/archinte.167.5.490. [PubMed: 17353497].
- Siabani S, Driscoll T, Davidson PM, Najafi F, Jenkins MC, Leeder SR. Self-care and Its Predictors in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure in Western Iran. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2016;31(1):22-30. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000211. [PubMed: 25419944].
- Benjamin EJ, Blaha MJ, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Das SR, Deo R, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2017 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2017;135(10):e146-e603. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000485. [PubMed: 28122885].
- Johansson P, Brostron A, Dahlsron U, Alehagen U. Global perceived health and health-related quality of life in elderly primary care patients with symptoms of heart failure. Europ J Cardiov Nurs. 2008;7(4): 96-76. doi: 10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2007.12.002.
- Macabasco-O'Connell A, Crawford MH, Stotts N, Stewart A, Froelicher ES. Self-care behaviors in indigent patients with heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2008;23(3):223-30. doi:10.1097/01.JCN.0000317427.21716.5f. [PubMed: 18437064].
- Karasu F, Aylaz R. Evaluation of meaning of life and self-care agency in nursing care given to chronic obstructive pulmonary patients according to health promotion model. Appl Nurs Res. 2020;51:151208. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2019.151208. [PubMed: 31676298].
- Jaarsma T, Halfen R, sSenten M, Huijer AH, Dracup K. Developing a supportive educative program for patient with advanced HF within orems general theory nursing. Nurs Sci Quarter. 1998;2:79-85. doi: 10.1177/089431849801100210.
- Gary R. Self-care practices in woman with diastolic heart failure. Heart Lung. 2006;35(1):9-19. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2005.04.005.
- Sakhayi S. The study of applying rate of life style healthy promotion method in medical personal. Zahedan J Res Med Sci. 2005;7(2):721-4.
- Pender NJ. Health Promotion in Nursing Practice.4th ed. Upper Saddle River NJ: Prentic Hall; 2002.P.57-64.
- Wai Sze Lo S, Ying Chair S, Kam Lee F. Factors associated with health-promoting behavior of people with or at high risk of metabolic syndrome: Based on the health belief model. App nurs Res. 2015;28:197-201. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2014.11.001. [PubMed: 25540911].
- Weston NM. Identifying perceptions of health promotion barriers and benefits in individuals at risk for coronary heart disease. Montana;2008.
- Thanavaro J. Barriers to coronary heart disease risk modification in women without prior history of coronary heart disease. J Am Aca Nurs Pract. 2005;17:487-93. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2005.00080.x. [PubMed: 16248882].
- Mosca L, Mochari H, Christian A, Berra K, Taubert K, Mills T. National study of women's awareness, preventive action, and barriers to cardiovascular health. Circulation. 2006;113(4):525-34. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.588103. [PubMed: 16449732].
- Aljasem LI, Peyrot M, Wissow L, Rubin RR. The impact of barriers and self efficacy on self-care behaviors in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Edu. 2001;27(3):393–404. doi: 10.1177/014572170102700309. [PubMed: 11912800].
- Salehzadeh A, Rahmatpour P. Self-care behaviors and related factors in patients with heart failure reffering to medical & educational center of heart in Rasht. J Holc Nurs And Midwif. 2013;23(1):22-9.
- Kamrani AA, Foroughan M, Taraghi Z, Yazdani J, Kaldi AR, Ghanei N,et al. Self care behaviors among elderly with chronic heart failure and related factors. Pak J Biol Sci. 2014;17(11):1161-9. doi: 10.3923/pjbs.2014.1161.1169. [PubMed: 26027161].
- Smith MS, Wallston KA, Smith CA. The development and valida-tion of the Perceived Health Competence Scale. Health Educ Res. 1995;10(1):51–64. doi: 10.1093/her/10.1.51. [PubMed: 10150421].
- Becker H, Stuifbergen A. What makes it so hard? Barriers to health promotion experienced by people with multiple sclerosis and polio. Fam Community Health. 2004;27(1):75–85. doi: 10.1097/00003727-200401000-00008. [PubMed: 14724504].
- Mohammadian H, Eftekhar Ardebili H, Rahimi Foroushani A, Taghdisi MH, Shojaei Zadeh D. Evaluation of pender health promotion model in predicting living quality of adolescent girls. J Faculty Health Health Res Inst. 2011;8(4):1–13.
- Watson D, Clark LA, Tellegen A. Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: the PANAS scales. J Pers Soc Psychol.1988;54(6):1063–70. doi: 10.1037//0022-35184.108.40.2063. [PubMed: 3397865].
- Canty-Mitchell J, Zimet GD. Psychometric properties of the mul-tidimensional Scale of perceived social support in urban adolescents. Am J Community Psychol.2000;28(3):391–400. doi: 10.1023/A:1005109522457. [PubMed: 10945123].
- Bahmanpour K, Nouri R, Nadrian H, Salehi B. Determinants of oral health behavior among high school students in Marivan County, Iran based on the Pender's Health Promotion Model. J Sch Pub Health Ins Pub Health Res. 2011;9(2):93-106.
- Zeighami Mohammadi S, Fahidy F. Perception of patients with cardiovascular disease about barriers and benefits of health promotion behaviors. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2012;1(2):16-23.
- [M1] Alizadeh Charandabi, SM, Mirghafourvand M, Tavananezhad N, Karkhaneh M. Health promoting lifestyles and self-efficacy in male adolescents in Sanandaj. J mazandaran univ med sci. 2014;23(109):152-62.
- Oestrich IH, Austin SF, Lykke J, Tarrier N. The feasibility of a cognitive behavioural intervention for low self-esteem within a dual diagnosis inpatient population. Behav Cogn Psychother. 2007;35(4):403-8. doi: 10.1017/S1352465807003633.
- Forrest JL, Overman P. Keeping current: a commitment to patient care excellence through evidence based practice. J Dent Hyg. 2013;87(l): 33-40. [PubMed: 24046340].
- Mohamadian H, Eftekhar Ardebili H, Rahimi Foroushani A, Taghdisi MH, Shojaiezade D . Evaluation of Pender’s health promotion model for predicting adolescent girls’ quality of life. Sci J Sch Public Health Ins Public Health Res. 2011;8(4):1-13.
- Koerber A, Peters KE, Kaste LM, Lopez E, Noorullah K, Torres I, et al. The views of dentists, nurses and nutritionists on the association between diabetes and periodontal disease: a qualitative study in a Latino community. J Public Health Dent. 2006;66(3):212-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-7325.2006.tb02583.x. [PubMed: 16913250].
- Christensen AJ, Wiebe JS, Benotsch EG, Lawton WJ. Perceived health competence, health locus of control, and patient adherence in renal dialysis. Cognit Ther Res. 1996;20(4):411-21.
- Bayrami M, Heshmati R, Ghotbi M, Ghoradel JA, Hojatipor H, Moslemifar M. Relationship between personality dimensions and hopelessness: a study on college students. Procedia-Soci Behav Sci. 2012;46:848-52. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.05.211.
- Shaker A, Heshmati R, Rahimi MP. Investigation of marital adjustment in people with secure, preoccupied, dismissing and fearful attachment styles. Procedia-Soci Behav Sci. 2010;5:1823-6. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.371.
- Kadivar M, Kahrazei F, Nikmanesh Z. The effectiveness of interventions based on positive psychotherapy on improving coping styles, relapse prevention in individual diagnosed with substance use disorder. Positive Psychol . 2016;1(4): 41-54.
- Heshmati R, Ghorbani F. The effect of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program on physical functioning and health related quality of life (HRQOL) in people with coronary artery disease (CAD). Iran J Cardiovascul Nurs. 2016;5(3):16-25.
- Heshmati R. Structural relationships among functional status, health beliefs and bmi in patients with cad: the mediator role of cardiac self-efficacy. J Health Care. 2016;18(3):191-206.