Introduction: Pulsating varicose vein is a very rare clinical manifestation and mostly has been reported with tricuspid regurgitation or right ventricular dysfunction. The exact etiology and treatment options for this disease are rarely reported in the literature.
Case Presentation: This article presents the case of a 45-year-old woman with varicose veins in both her lower limbs when she came to our department. Venous ultrasound showed arterial-like pulsations in both superficial and deep veins of the lower extremities, and echocardiography showed severe tricuspid regurgitation. We administered compression therapy with elastic stockings, and the symptoms of the patient were significantly relieved. In addition, in this article, we reviewed other cases reported in the current literature and discussed appropriate treatment options for this disease.
Conclusion: Pulsating varicose veins are very rare clinical manifestations and mostly have been reported with tricuspid regurgitation or right ventricular dysfunction. For the treatment of this disease, multidisciplinary teams in cardiology, vascular surgery, and anesthesia are the best choices.
- Abu-Yousef MM, Mufid M, Woods K, Brown B, Barloon T. Normal lower limb venous Doppler flow phasicity: is it cardiac or respiratory? AJR American journal of roentgenology. 1997;169(6):1721-5.doi: 10.2214/ajr.169.6.9393197
- Comerota A, Lurie F, editors. Pathogenesis of venous ulcer. Seminars in vascular surgery; 2015: Elsevier.doi: 10.1053/j.semvascsurg.2015.07.003
- Swoboda SJ, Schumann H, Kiritsi D. A leg ulcer with pulsating varicose veins–from the legs to the heart. International wound journal. 2018;15(1):62-4.doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/iwj.12834
- Abbas M, Hamilton M, Yahya M, Mwipatayi P, Sieunarine K. Pulsating varicose veins!! The diagnosis lies in the heart. ANZ journal of surgery. 2006;76(4):264-6. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2006.03597.
- Badger S, Makar R, Chew E, Lee B. Recurrent bilateral varicose veins secondary to tricuspid regurgitation. Irish journal of medical science. 2012;181(3):405-7. doi: 10.1007/s11845-010-0547-6
- Chihara S, Sawada K, Tomoeda H, Aoyagi S. Pulsatile Varicose Veins Secondary to Severe Tricuspid Regurgitation: Report of a Case Successfully Managed by Endovenous Laser Treatment. Annals of vascular surgery. 2017;39:286. e11-. e14.doi: 10.1016/j.avsg.2016.06.026
- Dalla Vestra M, Grolla E, Bonanni L, Dorrucci V, Presotto F, Rigo F. From the veins to the heart: a rare cause of varicose veins. Case reports in vascular medicine. 2015;2015.
- Kakish ME, Abu-Yousef MM, Brown P, Warnock NG, Barloon TJ, Pelsang RE. Pulsatile lower limb venous Doppler flow: prevalence and value in cardiac disease diagnosis. Journal of ultrasound in medicine. 1996;15(11):747-53. doi: 10.7863/jum.1922.214.171.1247
- Li X, Feng Y, Liu Y, Zhang F. Varicose Veins of the Lower Extremity Secondary to Tricuspid Regurgitation. Annals of vascular surgery. 2019;60:477. e1-. e6.doi: : 10.1016/j.avsg.2019.02.052