Background: The use of evidence-based dentistry (EBD) as the integration of investigations and clinical decisions has been a focus of attention in recent years.
Objectives: The present study aimed to evaluate the knowledge, attitude, and practice of EBD among Iranian dentists in 2019.
Methods: A total of 140 self-administered questionnaires with 57 items were distributed among dentists in the 2019 exhibition of Iranian dentists. Moreover, 60 self- administered questionnaires were sent to five different dentistry schools in Iran. The analyses were carried out using the Chi-square test, independent samples t-test, and Pearson correlation.
Results: A total of 119 fully-responded self-administered questionnaires were analyzed in this study. The dentists attending EBD workshops obtained significantly higher scores of knowledge. The Cochrane Library, manufacturer’s brochures, and evidence-based guidelines were used the least for clinical decisions. Consultation with colleagues, use of textbooks, and personal judgment were mostly utilized for clinical decisions. In addition, 93.3% of the participants stated sensible uncertainties in their clinical decisions. The most important barriers to EBD were the need for long discussions with patients, lack of skills in the critical appraisal of articles, and lack of motivation in dentists with the incidence rates of 62.2%, 62.2%, and 39.5%, respectively.
Conclusions: Due to the low levels of EBD knowledge among Iranian dentists, it is recommended to give further close attention to increasing the knowledge in this regard. However, their high enthusiasm for participation in EBD workshops and enhancement of EBD skills is promising.
- Winning T, Needleman I, Rohlin M, Carrassi A, Chadwick B, Eaton K, et al. Evidence‐based care and the curriculum. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008;12(Suppl 1):48-63. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2007.00480.x. [PubMed: 18289268].
- Haron IM, Sabti MY, Omar R. Awareness, knowledge and practice of evidence‐based dentistry amongst dentists in Kuwait. Eur J Dent Educ. 2012;16(1):e47-52. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2010.00673.x. [PubMed: 22251353].
- Downes P. Putting it all together; dentistry and the Internet. Br Dent J. 2007;203(2):75-86. doi: 10.1038/bdj.2007.633. [PubMed: 17660777].
- Thomas LA, Tibble H, Too LS, Hopcraft MS, Bismark MM. Complaints about dental practitioners: an analysis of 6 years of complaints about dentists, dental prosthetists, oral health therapists, dental therapists and dental hygienists in Australia. Aust Dental J. 2018;63(3):285-93. doi: 10.1111/adj.12625. [PubMed: 29862517].
- Ballini A, Capodiferro S, Toia M, Cantore S, Favia G, De Frenza G, et al. Evidence-based dentistry: what's new? Int J Med Sci. 2007;4(3):174-8. doi: 10.7150/ijms.4.174. [PubMed: 17589569].
- Richards D, Lawrence A. Evidence based dentistry. Br Dent J. 1995;179(7): 270-3. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4808896. [PubMed: 7577182].
- Rajagopalachari US, Puranik MP, Rajput S. Knowledge, attitude, and practices toward evidence-based dentistry among dentists of Bengaluru city. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent. 2017;15(3):239-43. doi: 10.4103/jiaphd.jiaphd_51_17.
- Kao RT. The challenges of transferring evidence-based dentistry into practice. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2006;6(1):125-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jebdp.2005.12.011 . [PubMed: 17138414].
- McGlone P, Watt R, Sheiham A. Evidence-based dentistry: an overview of the challenges in changing professional practice. Br Dent J. 2001;190(12):636-9. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4801062. [PubMed: 11453152].
- Bero LA, Grilli R, Grimshaw JM, Harvey E, Oxman AD, Thomson MA. Closing the gap between research and practice: an overview of systematic reviews of interventions to promote the implementation of research findings. BMJ. 1998;317(7156):465-8. doi: 10.1136/bmj.317.7156.465. [PubMed: 9703533].
- Norman GR, Shannon SI. Effectiveness of instruction in critical appraisal (evidence-based medicine) skills: a critical appraisal. CMAJ. 1998;158(2):177-81. [PubMed: 9469138].
- Greenhalgh T. How to read a paper: the basics of evidence-based medicine. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons; 2014.
- Azarpazhooh A, Mayhall JT, Leake JL. Introducing dental students to evidence-based decisions in dental care. J Dent Educ. 2008;72(1):87-109. [PubMed: 18172240].
- Sabounchi SS, Nouri M, Erfani N, Houshmand B, Khoshnevisan MH. Knowledge and attitude of dental faculty members towards evidence‐based dentistry in Iran. Eur J Dent Educ. 2013;17(3):127-37. doi: 10.1111/eje.12019. [PubMed: 23815689].
- Rajshekar SA, Kote KS, Nagesh L. Knowledge and attitudes towards evidence based dentistry among postgraduate students of two dental Colleges in Davangere City. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent. 2011;9(18):761-5.
- Nieminen[zamen1] P, Virtanen JI. Information retrieval, critical appraisal and knowledge of evidence‐based dentistry among Finnish dental students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2017;21(4):214-9. doi: 10.1111/eje.12203. [PubMed: 27040996].
- Spallek H, Song M, Polk DE, Bekhuis T, Frantsve-Hawley J, Aravamudhan K. Barriers to implementing evidence-based clinical guidelines: a survey of early adopters. J Evid Base Dent Pract. 2010;10(4):195-206. doi: 10.1016/j.jebdp.2010.05.013. [PubMed: 21093800].
- Al-Ansari A. ElTantawi M. Factors affecting self-reported implementation of evidence-based practice among a group of dentists. J Evid Base Dent Pract. 2014;14(1):2-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jebdp.2013.11.001. [PubMed: 24581703].
- Ciancio MJ, Lee MM, Krumdick ND, Lencioni C, Kanjirath PP. Self-perceived knowledge, skills, attitudes, and use of evidence-based dentistry among practitioners transitioning to dental educators. J Dent Educ. 2017;81(3):271-7. [PubMed: 28250032].
- Ahad M, Gheena S. Awareness, attitude and knowledge about evidence based dentistry among the dental practitioner in Chennai city. Res J Pharm Tech. 2016;9(11):1863-6. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00380.2.
- Gupta M, Bhambal A, Saxena S, Sharva V, Bansal V, Thakur B. Awareness, attitude and barriers towards evidence based dental practice amongst practicing dentists of Bhopal City. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9(8):ZC49-54. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2015/12814.6342. [PubMed: 26436047].
- Ali Shah SM, Saquib KM, Omer SA, Mirza D, Amir A. Awareness, knowledge & Practice of evidence-based dentistry amongst dentists in Karachi. Pak Oral Dent J. 2015;35(2):262-5.
- Rawat P, Gosewami RP, Kaur G, Vyas T, Sharma N, Singh A. Knowledge, attitude, and behavior toward evidence-based dentistry among dental professionals in Jodhpur Rajasthan, India. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2018;19(9):1140-6. [PubMed: 30287718].
- Rathod SI, Wanikar I, Raj A. Perception of dental professionals towards evidence based dentistry. J Educ Technol Health Sci. 2016;3(1):8-12.
- Fedorowicz Z, Almas K, Keenan JV. Perceptions and attitudes towards the use of evidence-based dentistry (EBD) among final year students and Interns at King Saud University, College of Dentistry in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. Braz J Oral Sci. 2004;3(9):470-4. doi: 10.20396/bjos.v3i9.8641753.
- Navabi N, Shahravan A, Pourmonajem S, Hashemipour MA. Knowledge and use of evidence-based dentistry among Iranian dentists. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2014;14(2):e223-30. [PubMed: 24790746].
- Apparaju V, Kale S, Srivastava N, Goswami RD, Kondaweei R, Pantaghada S. Role of evidence based dentistry in day to day dental practice-perception of postgraduate dental students and clinical practitioners-KAP study. J Adv Med Med Res. 2016;16(9):1-7. doi: 10.9734/BJMMR/2016/26889.
- Madhavji A, Araujo EA, Kim KB, Buschang PH. Attitudes, awareness, and barriers toward evidence-based practice in orthodontics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011;140(3):309-16.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.ajodo.2010.05.023. [PubMed: 21889075].
- Kumar JK, Patthi B, Singla A, Gupta R, Prasad M, Dhama K. Knowledge and usage of evidence based practice among dentists in Modinagar city: a questionnaire based study. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent. 2017;15(2):170-6. doi: 1 0.4103/jiaphd.jiaphd_206_16.
- Kalavani A, Kazerani M, Shekofteh M. Evaluation of SBMU residents’ knowledge and use of evidence-based medical databases and concepts. J Payavard Salamat. 2018;12(1):34-43.
- Dehghani M, Bidar M, Movahhed T. Evaluation of awareness, knowledge and attitude towards evidence-based dentistry among dental students of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences. J Mashhad Dent Sch. 2015;40(1):47-58.
- Hachesu PR, Gavgani VZ, Salahzadeh Z, Ehteshami A, Piri Z, Kasaei M, et al. A study of resident's attitude, knowledge and barriers towards the use of evidence based medicine. Int J Health Syst Disaster Manag. 2013;1(1):38-42. doi: 10 .4103/2347-9019.122456.
- Salehifar D, Lotfi R, Mehrpour G, Vaezi AA, Zamani SH, Tajbakhsh R, Tahmtani T. Assessment of knowledge, attitudes and practice of clinical faculty members of Alborz university of medical sciences towards evidence based medicine (EBM) and its using. Alborz Univ Med J. 2017,6(2):114-22. doi: 10.18869/acadpub.aums.6.2.114.
- Sadeghi M, Khanjani N, Motamedi F. Knowledge, attitude and application of evidence based medicine (EBM) among residents of Kerman medical sciences university. Iran J Epidemiol. 2011;7(3):20-6.
- Khami MR, Jafari A, Mohtashamrad Z, Yazdani R, Moscowchi A, Akhgari E, et al. Awareness, knowledge and attitude of dental students of Tehran and Shahid Beheshti Universities of Medical Sciences about evidence-based dentistry. J Islam Dent Assoc Iran. 2012;24(4):197-203.
- Barzkar F, Baradaran HR, Koohpayehzadeh J. Knowledge, attitudes and practice of physicians toward evidence‐based medicine: a systematic review. J Evid Based Med. 2018;11(4):246-51. doi: 10.1111/jebm.12325. [PubMed: 30430759].
- Marvei Milan A, Vatanpour M, SHahsavari F. Evaluation of instruction effect on evidence-based dentistry (EBD) knowledge, attitudes, access and confidence and its consistency among dental students of Tehran dental branch, Islamic Azad University in 2017. J Res Dent Sci. 2018;15(3):136-44. doi: 10.29252/jrds.15.3.3.
- Davoodi R, Badiee Aval S, Salehi M, Rahmani S, Sabouri G, Soltanifar A, et al. evidence-based medicine: studying the attitude of medical residents in Mashhad. J Patient Saf Qual Improv. 2015;3(1):188-92.
- Moeintaghavi A, Mokhtari MR, Lal Alizadeh F, Farazi F, Sohrabi M. Evaluation of evidence based dentistry knowledge and usage among postgraduate dental students of Mashhad dental school in 2012-2013. J Mashhad Dent Sch. 2014;38(1):61-70.